Tonearm recommendation

Hello all,
Recently procured a Feickert Blackbird w/ the Jelco 12 inch tonearm.
The table is really good, and its a keeper. The Jelco is also very good, but not as good as my Fidelity Research FR66s. So the Jelco will eventually hit Ebay, and the question remains do I keep the FR66s or sell that and buy something modern in the 5-6 K range. My only point of reference is my old JMW-10 on my Aries MK1, so I don't know how the FR66s would compare to a modern arm. So I'd like to rely on the collective knowledge and experience of this group for a recommendation.

Keep the FR66s, or go modern in the 5-6K range, say a Moerch DP8 or maybe an SME.

Any and all thoughts and opinions are of course much appreciated.

Cheers,      Crazy Bill
wrm0325
Dear don_c55: """"  NO ALIGNMENT WILL SATISFY EVERYONE! """"

I respect your opinion but do not make sense to me.

For me the Stevenson alignment ( that loves japanese audiophiles that for me are way diferent from any other world audiophile. ) today makes no sense too.

Look to these real calculated numbers/values for a 10" tonearm using Baerwald and Lofgreen B alignments:

both cases the cartridge offset angle is the same: 21.586

the difference in cartridge overhang in between is only 0.457 mm

the maximum distortion between null points is:

Baerwald: 0.57%    Lofgreen B:  0.396 almost: 0.4%

average distortion ( all LP recorded surface. ):

Baerwald: 0.38%    Lofgree B:  0.34%

Pleased let me know in which audio system and with which kind of ears any one can detect for sure between a distortion level of:

0.57%  and 0.4%  , that's it a distortion level difference of only: 0.17%!!!!!!!

or that average distortion level difference of: 0.04%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the other side, that 0.457mm overhang difference is prety easy and dificult to achieve because non accurate JIGs.

Do you know why  the MINTLP protractor was to famous for 100 bucks?

because was really accurated and is accurate. That people take in count even each owner the TT spindle diameter and everything and send to you a dedicated Baerwald alignment for your tonearm and makes a difference in sound quality not because Baerwald ( if they choosed Lofgreen will be the same results. ) alignment but because for the first time that JIG was and is ACCURATE and when use it the cartridge/tonearm set up is exactly where must be and that's what we audiophiles need from each one tonearm manufacturer. That's where resides the quality sound performance.

If we can hear differences between diferent kind of tonearm /cartridge alignments then it's because the JIG is not accurate, exception perhaps when we make comparison with a " extreme " kind of alignment as Stevenson that certainly is not for me.

We don't have to " fight " looking for the best alignment, Baerwald/Lofgreen are enough for any one, but ACCURATE and user friendly tonearm manufacturer JIGs. Their main responsability.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.

Flieb,

I have settled on the Lustre 801 for my JVC TT-81 over the JVC 7045.  This is not because one is better than the other.  But because the JVC 7545 has no advantage over my other arm.  the Graham 2.2.  The Lustre 801 does.  The Graham by the way is mounted on my VPI Aries.  The Lustre is able to correctly handle higher compliance cartridges. It is considered a heavier arm than either the JVC 7045 or the Graham 2.2.  The Graham and the JVC are considered light/medium to medium arms.  In actual use, I prefer the ease of  set-up and adjustment of the JVC over the Lustre.  
  The Lustre's original internal wiring is silver.  Same as the Graham's.  There were discussions between Joseph De Phillip of Discovery Cable and Bob Graham as to whether Bob should use ofc copper wire or silver when he was designing the original 1.5t which became the 2.0 and then the 2.2..  Bob preferred silver.  Joseph preferred ofc.  Now that I have heard both types of wire in the Lustre, I also prefer the ofc copper over the silver version.  There is more 'air' around the indivual instruments and the sound stage seems to have more depth.   But this choice only is in regards to the Lustre. I wish I was able to hear my Graham wired with ofc. None was ever offered to the Public wired in this way.  Why does the thought 'tone control' come to mind!  (grin)
   You ask me to state my favorite of the three arms.  I wish I could or wish there were enough differences  to be able to actually prefer the performance of one over the other.  I do have my favorite but my preferences of one over the other have more to do with ease of use or amount of easy range of adjustment. 
The Graham easily is the #1 of my three in this regard.  But performance wise,  I could live life 'happily ever after' with any of the three!  Flieb, I do not mean that to be some kind of 'cop out answer'.  It is truly how I feel.
Regards,    

Griff,

Thanks for the answer. It's quite interesting, glad I asked.  The 801 is the heaviest of the three, yet performs better with hi cu carts.  I would guess this is due to the magnetic/dynamic application of tracking force - dynamic VTF w/o mechanical liability.  Would you concur?       

Regards,

Flieb,

To use the Lustre, the operator is not aware of it being regarded as a heavy arm.  It does not look like a heavy arm but the arm tube 'is' Stainless Steel where as the Grahams are Aluminum or Ceramic and the JVC's are also of Aluminum mix.  The Lustre also has some priority designed wire damping done inside of the arm tube and a unique bearing pivot design also.  There are many things in regards to the Lustre that was not the norm for a tone arm so too state that " the magnetic/dynamic application of tracking force - dynamic VTF w/o mechanical liability"  as being 'the' cause and effect would be just conjecture on my part. As you are aware, the arms performance is the combination of many different aspects of its design.  
I do not in any way want to 'short change' the JVC 7045.  But my high compliance cartridges seem to have better bass control when they were mounted on the Lustre.  I only own a few of those but one of them is a favorite.  It is the Ikeda 9C III (no cantilever).  I also have a couple of the high compliant FR-7's, one being the 'fz' (another favorite).    The difference between the arms is suttle but once you know that they sound better on a certain arm, it is hard to enjoy them when you do not have that arm installed.
I have a spare (rebuilt) TT-81 that I did my best to come up with a place that I could place a 3rd turntable so that I could leave the JVC 7045 in place, but short of knocking down and re-configuring a wall, I am at a lost as how to get it in a position to actually use.  I'm sure you are aware of space constraints with all those turntables/arms that you own!  (grin)
Regards,
griffithds
I am not sure why you call the Ikeda & FR7 high compliance. I have had 2 Ikedas - they are very low compliance. My experience with the Lustre 801 was excellent results with a Koetsu Black back in the day - very seamless sound, smooth and grain free. Isamu Ikeda does not recommend unipivots with his Ikeda cantilever less cartridges but I have run mine in my Naim Aro with no tracking issues at all.

Rauls comments about the Technics EPA 100 are superfluous in this thread as it was never designed for heavy low compliance cartridges and in fact you have to modify the counterweight for heavier cartridges. Notwithstanding ruby bearings are very brittle and most enthusiasts of the EPA100 replace the ruby bearings with silicone nitride or ceramic balls. I would not buy a second hand EPA 100 without budgeting for the bearings to be replaced.