Why is 2 Channel better than multi-channel?

I hear that the music fidelity of a multi-channel AV Receiver/Integrated amp can never match the sounds produced by a 2 channel system. Can someone clearly explain why this is so?

I'm planning to upgrade my HT system to try and achieve the best of both worlds, I currently have a 3 channel amp driving my SL, SR, C and a 2 channel amp driving my L and R.
I have a Denon 3801 acting as my pre. Is there any Pre/Proc out there that can merge both worlds with out breaking my bank? Looking for recommendations on what my next logical steps should be? Thanks in advance.
springowl
The few times I've heard multichannel it never sounded right to me, although the systems may not have been all that good. Instruments and voices way off the stage and even behind me just sounded weird.

Kr4 - Are you suggesting that for a given amount of money you could put together a better 5.1 (or whatever) system than a 2-channel system for music only? I always assumed it would be much more expensive to get multichannel music to sound as good (more amps, more speakers, etc.).
No. I am acknowledging that decent MCH will take up more space and cost more than decent stereo. I was also saying that prejudice was the only other reason I can see. ;-)

Kal
Kal - Don't forget indifference. Most people could care less. They just want access. No qualitative thoughts ever cross their minds - except maybe brand name. That's where Bose comes in.
Surely, Macrojack, none of those people are among us!! Indifference is rarely apparent here. That leaves the other possibilities. ;-)

Kal
"08-10-10: Kr4
No. I am acknowledging that decent MCH will take up more space and cost more than decent stereo. I was also saying that prejudice was the only other reason I can see. ;-)
Kal"

I guess I don't follow how MCH is better. If you compare 2 similarly priced systems and the 2CH sounds better...

So I guess my answer to the OP would be that 2CH is better because it sounds better. "At a given pricepoint" is always understood.