Active Subwoofer Crossover

What are the differences between components like the JL Audio CR-1 and Bryson 10B-SUB active subwoofer crossover and the crossover built into most subs? Do they just provide more flexibility?
ricred1

I'm not particularly technical, but I'll try to give the explanation I have experienced.  In some subs (like my JL F110 Fathom) there is only a low pass filter to roll off the upper frequency range of the sub, meaning you run your main speakers full-range and have to adjust the sub to integrate with them.  If your speakers go down fairly low in frequency response, this might be difficult to do without having some overlap in frequencies which also excites some room nodes.  I have been wrestling with this problem, as my speakers go down into the mid 30Hz range, and the lowest crossover point on my sub is 30Hz; I cannot get rid of a room node at about 50 Hz, even with the sub's equalization program, because the main speakers excite the room node a little by themselves, and even with a steep rolloff the sub's high frequency response accentuates that bump.  .An outboard crossover can take the full range signal from your preamp and split it at the chosen crossover frequency above the low frequency cutoff of your main speakers, so that your main speakers get a signal that is rolled off in the bass--this way they don't have to run full range and can have a crossover point that can be adjusted for room effects and better integration with the subwoofer.  Some speakers also may benefit from having not having to reproduce lower bass frequencies, at least from some of the reviews I have seen. 

As a potential drawback, there is the additional circuitry and interconnects, but a high quality unit like the Bryston is likely to add very little, if any, signature to the sound.  Also, in subs which have a high pass filter for the sub and a low pass filter for the main speakers, an outboard high quality active crossover might be better than the built-in crossovers in the sub, and result in better sound.  So yes, there is more flexibility, but you can play with crossover points and slopes and potentially get better sound as well.

Hope this makes sense.  Perhaps others with more technical knowledge can chime in.

So in theory, a external electronic crossover provides more flexibility and should allow a more seamless integration of the mains with the subwoofer? Does the external crossover take the place of the preamp or is everything still controlled via the preamp?

Generally you would run a pair of cables from your preamp (or, if you use a source direct to your amp, that source) into the active crossover, then cables from the crossover's outputs to your main amp and the subwoofer. The crossover would not take the preamp's place.

I added the CR-1 to my system. I tried the suggested 80 hertz crossover point and it was too lean. I've changed the crossover to 45 hertz and like the overall sound better. The biggest impact in my system is an overall cleaner/ more detailed sound with added space/air...so much so that I'm trying to adjust to what I'm hearing.