Tonearm recommendation

Hello all,
Recently procured a Feickert Blackbird w/ the Jelco 12 inch tonearm.
The table is really good, and its a keeper. The Jelco is also very good, but not as good as my Fidelity Research FR66s. So the Jelco will eventually hit Ebay, and the question remains do I keep the FR66s or sell that and buy something modern in the 5-6 K range. My only point of reference is my old JMW-10 on my Aries MK1, so I don't know how the FR66s would compare to a modern arm. So I'd like to rely on the collective knowledge and experience of this group for a recommendation.

Keep the FR66s, or go modern in the 5-6K range, say a Moerch DP8 or maybe an SME.

Any and all thoughts and opinions are of course much appreciated.

Cheers,      Crazy Bill
wrm0325
rauliruegas7,387 posts"So stay calm about or I must to report you to Agon"

Do what you like, Raul, because you're going to do it anyway. But don't threaten the contributors here. You needn't like every post any more than everyone likes yours.

Raul,

I didn't call you stupid.  It was long winded, which I think is accurate. If you object to your nicknames I won't use them.

It might interest you to know that the lower the compliance of a suspension, the lower the amplitude of arm/cart resonance.  We happen to be talking about 2 very low compliance stereo carts.

You previously talked about the metal arm generating resonance and distortion. That's impossible. The arm is not a generator. I assume you meant propagating or amplifying. There are many mistakes like that in your posts. I don't have the time or inclination to correct them.

You've been posting on this forum in English for many years. I've long thought you use language to disguise lack of specific knowledge. If you look over this thread I think you'll see that you are the predominant responder. You say the same thing over and over. We heard you the first time. Why don't you give us a break? 

Sincerely, 

Dear cleeds: In all my internet audio forums I never did it.

Let me to ask: from where you have that " idea "?

R.
Dear fleib: """ I assume you meant propagating or amplifying. """

exactly and non-damped tonearms are the worst about. I call " generator " because during playing the tonearm instead to kill those distortions makes biguer and helps to generate addional ones. If you don’y like that word call it in other way, the important issue is that you understand it and I can see that you did it and if you did it ( because you know me very well. I think? ) why those kind of posts from your part?

I said " over and over " because almost no one post the right answer explain it why I’m totally wrong or why they are recomended " this or that ". Almost all only say: "" use this or use that " but with out any single reason that can be foundation ( right or wrong. ) for what they say.

Almost all are accustomed that way: " don’t use that or don’t use this "" and I want to learn why " yes " or why " no " or if I’m wrong to analize and if it’s the case I can rectify and learn about any audio subject.

Btw, that gentleman was not Dgarretson because Dgarretson knows more more that that gentleman.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.

Raul,

*I said " over and over " because almost no one post the right answer explain it why I’m totally wrong or why they are recomended " this or that ". *

Because it doesn't work like that.  You made a case for damping. Damping is one factor, not the main consideration. In the initial post we read that the Jelco arm is inferior. I think you would agree, yet the Jelco is fluid damped at the pivot. Clearly, there are other factors.

You talk about ringing and amplifying vibrations. In my experience with these FR arms, the right headshell combined with a suitable low compliance cartridge, negates this consideration.  I've heard them with a small amount of armtube damping and less than perfect match with cart compliance and still nice results.

Maybe the 4 point would be better, I don't know, but I don't think it falls within the price constraints. This is a matter of opinion not a case of right/wrong. 

Sincerely,