How important are speaker cables to the sound emanating from the speakers?

Hello. I was just wondering what your opinion is about the importance of speaker cables to the sound coming out of the speakers, and, of course, the sound the system altogether produces? Also, what are your favorite speaker cables to use in your system?
warmglowingtubesart
Most of us here are familiar with blind testing, so you didn't really add much to the discussion.
Too funny Douglas Schroeder! You ask that I not take your first post directed at me personally (the one in which you advised that I not be listened to), and then in the same breath proceed to say that I "didn't really add much to the discussion."

LOL! How many times can you be insulting in the same thread?

Whether you have patience for blind testing or not does not excuse good manners. I've been reading the Audiogon boards for over 12 years now and find your deportment to be at odds with most others here.

And I could make the same indictment about your post not really adding much to the discussion because most of us here are familiar with how important many people say that cables are.

But were we addressing "most of us here" in the Audiogon community, or the original poster?? The latter I think.

Check audio sensibility cables, very low impedance, airy and smooth sound, occ cooper or silver and cryo treated, and accesible prices. 
An advice: read and research a lot
Studioray doth protest way to much!  DS said his piece and you responded.  Get over it.  FYI, most cables merely alter frequency response depending on design and materials...the rest is marketing!  EXCEPT for MIT AND TRANSPARENT!!  They actually improve the signal transmission and reduce frequency anomalies and noise.  Everything else is just wire.
Here's a quick low-budget story that may or may not help out.

First off, the system tested:

VPI HW-19 Mk 4 turntable with Benz Micro SE cartridge
Jolida Mk2 phono stage with upgrade 1
LSA Statement integrated
Acoustic Zen Adagio speakers
Clear Day Shotgun speaker wires
Rotel 1072 cd player (not tested)

I recently received a pair of 5' Belden 8402 IC's (which began life as industry standard microphone cables) terminated with Switchcraft 3502AAU RCA connectors. I had gotten the idea from this blog here:

http://jeffsplace.me/wordpress/?p=7325

which I heard about from an audiogon member's own blog about his foray into building tube amps, etc.

Tonight I compared the Beldens (~$90) with my existing Blue Jean LC-1 (~$40) and  Acoustic Zen Studio One IC's (~$200 used). Note that the Blue Jean IC's are built with Belden wiring. The AZ is proprietary to Mr. Lee and his company.

Results: Noticeable though not overwhelming differences. I tried various configurations running from the VPI to the Jolida, and from the Jolida to the LSA. The best combination was the LC-1 from the VPI to the Jolida and the AZ from the Jolida to the LSA. A big, warm, open sound. The Belden 8402 were good, too, but a little brighter and a bit more compressed soundstage than the previous configuration.

However, I will say that if someone had sat me down and, without me knowing, played a good recording with the Belden 8402's, I wouldn't have been too disappointed. Yes, they were a bit more thin and had less presence, but they also cost significantly less than the AZ's.

All of these are low-budget cables and I can 't compare them with MIT or Transparent or Cardas or even AZ's much higher-priced IC's. I imagine those would make a palpable difference. Still, I can say that cables, for the most part, do make a difference, however subtle.
Another vote for "cables matter" This is my fave aspect of our wonderful hobby. Get it right and you will be musically rewarded beyond expectations!