Ortofon bronze PNP ALERT!!!!!

I purchased a PNP Bronze from a member who said it was less than two months old.
Its the one with the integrated headshell for SME mount or can be used without headshell on a Rega type arm.
Well,I undid the screws and was pulling off the tags,<I've been in Analog since mid seventies and own about 20
cartridges>Anyway the pins coming out of the cartridge body pulled right out.
  This has never happened even on my cheapest junk cartridge.
The seller had a reciept from Turntable Needles and Ortofon said they are not authorized dealer.
They also said it was clearly a manufacturing issue and should have not happened.

Meanwhile,they say I should go after seller for a refund.Well its not the sellers fault and I won't do that.
Neither is it mine,I've removed headshell wires hundreds of times and know what I'm doing.

What amazes me is how PETTY and Crappy a well known respected long time company can be.
ITs amazing that a company like Bryston can offer warranty work to the tenth owner in the 19th year and these
people won't even stand behind a obvious Quality Control DEFECT
Just a word of caution to Ortofon customers,think twice.
Steve

soundsgood05
Yes you are missing something,I do manufacturing as a living.I started as a Tool and die maker and worked my way to manufacturing engineer.
the headshell is molded to the contour of the cartridge.But take the cartridge out with the screws and its a normal Bronze cart.My only gripe gripe was with Ortofon admitting a defect in a almost new cart then telling me to pound sand cause Turntableneedles.com is not authorized dealer
So i'll just put it aside and wait for someone to sell a body,because they don't want to spend the rediculous amount of money Ortofon wants for a stylus..
Not fair to Ortofon, given what you have said. You acquire the cartridge third-hand (maybe even fourth hand), presumably to avoid paying retail at a price level where you would enjoy generous warranty protection.  It is a way of taking a risk to save money. This time it did not work, and you lost some money by failing to support the manufacturer directly. Welcome to the real world. Buy the (cheap) ticket and take the (cheap) ride.

goheelz
121 posts
01-31-2016 3:20pm
Not fair to Ortofon, given what you have said. You acquire the cartridge third-hand (maybe even fourth hand), presumably to avoid paying retail at a price level where you would enjoy generous warranty protection. It is a way of taking a risk to save money. This time it did not work, and you lost some money by failing to support the manufacturer directly. Welcome to the real world. Buy the (cheap) ticket and take the (cheap) ride.
THIS!!!

I'm retired from a leadership role in a manufacturing company. It's a contrast between have to and want to- the letter of the law and the spirit. If we discovered we improperly manufactured a product, which was not often thankfully, we made an attempt to make things right. 

Two main reasons. We wanted people that bought our product to be happy, (regardless of the price point) and we felt it was a good investment in our reputation and brand.

Vendors, retailers, and so forth gain points with me and some of you for going over and above, it's a wonderful thing. Not bootlicking over and above- but fair and accommodating to us and them.

I'm not an expert on anything per say. Just giving an opinion. Fwiw, our company has continued to grow and prosper over the past 27 years.

i am sorry you ended up with a bad deal for whatever reason. Hopefully the audio gods will smile down on you next go around!

Best,
Gary
Hey Halcro,
you obviously didn't read this,
I acquired from original purchaser,it was 2 months old and he had a dated reciept attesting to that,
So read blog first before making comments like third,or fouth hand