Reel to Reel uses -

My wife and I love to entertain.  It never ceases to surprise me how many will walk over to my stereo and stare at my Reel to Reel tape deck.  Some under the age of 35, will ask what it is? Others want to know why I have it, and what do I use it for?  Of course I answer their questions, but now it makes we wonder how others use their machines?  I have been following a couple of high end blogs that I really enjoy and see that one gentlemen uses his machine to play master tape copies.  I do this as well, but have no where near the selection that he does.  I make copies of my favorite LP's to play when guests are over, and also make my own master tapes using a couple of neuman's microphones.  I record small jazz trios and solo artists straight to the machine.  People are amazed at how 'real' these tapes sound.  My main reel to reel is a Pioneer RT-1050 high speed half track.  I have a second just like it that I use for the above mentioned site recordings.  I also have a ReVox B-77, a Sony TC-765, and a Crown 822, all half track machines.  Anyone out there making your own masters?

Norman
normansizemore
love this thread BTW..thanks for all posts..
i may have sailed over the edge...

Tomic601,
You will love  recording with the ReVox. I have a B77 series 1, that I used to use extensively. Get a couple of good used mics to start with with and plug directly into the ReVox. You will be floored at how good a recording you can get with two well placed mics. 

I've never really cared for recording with digital. It's certainly easier and less costly. 

But don't stop there with the ReVox. Tape your favorite LP's, make mixed tapes of favorites. Even try recording your best CDs. You will be stunned at how they come out on tape. 

And certainly get get all the master copies you can. 
 Enjoy!
Norman
thanks Norman
The digital vs. analog experiment will be fun.
what are your top 5 mics to look for used and what do you use them for ?
tomic601,

You probably want somethijng with an omnidirectional pattern, or a mic with a selectable pattern. Used mics are a bargin and ususally the older the better.  Look for AKG, Audio Technica, Sure, Nueman and Sony.  They all made outstanding mics.  I usually go to a session with a couple of omni's and at least one directional, depending on crowd noise.  You can usually get good stereo and soundstage by monitioring one or two songs.  From there its just set back, listen and watch the meters.  
I have used boards in the past or even in some cases just plugged in to the exisitng souond board, but don't be afraid to just record straight to the deck. It's made for that and the ReVox has an incredible 24db of headroom.  Thats the highest for any consumer deck.
Obviouly running a 15ips is best for recording live.

Norman