Servers: Are we there yet?

I was shocked to discover that my brand-new high-end server is entirely dependant on a functional wireless network. If either the Ipad or the wifi are not working, the server is rendered non-functional. I spoke to the dealer and he informed me that all the servers he carries are like that. Huh?!?
psag
"Why lack of internet updates should affect performance?  Performance is always the same if nothing is changing."

Upgrades need to occur, for both the Ipad and server operating systems.

Here's an analog analogy: There's a room in your house where you store all your LPs and CDs. The door is locked by default, so you need to use an electronic key fob every time you wish to enter. The charger for the key fob is a bit unreliable, so you don't always have access. Not many audiophiles would tolerate such an arrangement, but we have to accept it when a computer is involved.
System can work forever without internet access.  Software code doesn't change.  Unreliable charger is hardware and not the software.   People use PC computers controlling production without any access to internet.   Many of them still run Windows NT while some run Windows 98 or even DOS.  They don't have any updates since there is no updates.
Ok, in that case I will disconnect my system from the internet. Thanks for the help.
You're welcome.  It is s good decision if your computer is only used for playback.  It doesn't change the fact that you still need to make backup in case of any hardware failure.
Many music and media servers use live internet connections to make extended information on what’s playing available. Things like lyrics, artwork, artist bios, reviews, related recordings, concert locations and dates, etc. Much more related info than can be had without a live internet connection. That’s a trend that will only continue to grow. You can actually learn more about what you are listening to while you listen easier than ever before. Not a requirement in some cases, but a very nice feature that I have found to greatly increase my musical IQ and level of enjoyment over time and that I would miss now that I have it.