No bass with new turntable?

Hello, I've just set up a Pro-ject Carbon DC Esprit, dialed in the arm etc., and while the upper spectrum of the sound is great, there is just no bass, let's say below the 80-100hz range. It's been probably 30 years since I've fooled around with turntables so I can't remember if that's just the way it's supposed to be. Luckily I have a Velodyne SMS-1 bass management system to turn up what I'm missing, but without that I'd be completely disappointed. Using a CDP my speakers are very full of bass. I've played with the tone arm adjustments with no difference in bass really, all supplied cables hooked up and checked, the cart is an Ortofon Red, the phono preamp is integrated in the Rogue Audio Sphinx amp.
 Any suggestions/opinions?
wetfeet48
It's also possible to have an out of phase condition somewhere else down the line.  It's even possible some new component reverses polarity, who knows?
Price tag might be part of problem that often manufacturers are negligent to the quality of assembly and set-up.
Simple solution money back or fix the way it should sound as documented and confirmed.

Wetfeet - What are the chances of trying another cart and seeing if bass response improves? Am thinking to borrow something or buy an inexpensive cart like a Grado Black or a Shure.  Yes, kind of a pain redoing the set up but could eliminate a lot of guessing and angst.  Good luck.  
What I question is your evaluation of the bass. Could it be that the last cartridge had a plethora of bass, and this one is more even handed?? Also, you might try sitting the new turntable on a different shelf/table/etc. I don’t think that its the turntable setup. I had an Ortofon that was internally wired wrong...perhaps that same person wired yours. I sent mine back and got a brand new one ...no questions asked....works perfectly now.
Yes its hard to know without hearing.  Is there truly no bass whatsoever?  Not quite as much as the CD player?   Is it the lowest bass had with CD missing but rest there?