What's up with the ridiculous offers?!?

Is it just me or are the high volume of low-ball offers surprising anyone else?

Example: I list an item at 60% off what a current, desirable  component sold for new, and I get an offer for half (or less) of what I am asking! I've have been buying and selling high end audio & video gear for over 40 years and I know the value of gear, but I have never experienced such an destructive trend. I expect it from Craigslst or at a garage sale, but not from Audiogon.

I understand an occasional low offer, and it's usually accompanied with an explanation or apology for the balz it takes to make such an offer, but I am getting absolutely offensive offers for more than 75% of what I list.  

Are there any other sellers that would like to commiserate with me? Am I missing something? Is it just me?

- REV
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xva6007
The annoying part for me is getting messages stating something like "if you can lower the price to x, I will take the item".  When I do respond with "yes", they never make the offer. Now, I just decline ridiculous offers and tell the others to make a formal offer using the Agon process and I will consider the offer.
Greg, there you go.  You do what you deem appropo.  Just because 'we' can act uncouth and annoying, doesn't mean you need to stoop.  Your game, your game plan....run it. ;)

This is funny to read.

Go to any high end auto auction.  The announcer may try to start the bidding of at a particular price, but a seller will always come in with a stupidly low initial offer.  Always happen.  Then the bidding really starts.

That is the case for auctions, however, one should expect people would do the same for sales here. 

I don't buy the argument that this is Audiogon and there should be a level of professionalism in bidding.

Lowball offers are going to continue to happen regardless.  At high end car auctions, someone starts with a really insultingly low initial offer and everyone just stops and looks in amazement. then the bidding begins.

This is why I would never place an item at auction without a reserve price listed.

Don't get insulted. Just move on.  As long as you don't have to sell the item for what the lowballer asked, then you are still okay.

enjoy

In part, this trend may be a reaction to the glut of way over-priced new gear on the market, designed to attract those with no taste, no experience, and no knowledge who only think they know that the more something costs, the more they want to have it.

When someone asks me for my "lowest price", I always decline to answer.  Instead, I ask that person, "Why should I bid against myself?  If you are interested, please make an offer, and I will respond to your offer."  That either ends the conversation (fine with me) or leads to negotiation and a reasonable sale price.
I guess what I'm learning about these "low ballers" is that, when they want to make their offer outside of the formal "offer" on Audiogon, say they want to pay cash and local pickup, that's a real "red flag".  At least if you require them to make a formal offer on the site, if they don't consummate the deal, you can ding them on their feedback.

I posted earlier about that guy who changed his "offer", reducing the amount we agreed on by phone by $600, when he was in my driveway.  Funny thing was, after he made that "offer" and I said "no, I don't deal with people like you", he asked if he could at least see the unit.  Funny guy!