Suspensions on turntable...really effective?

Been wondering about this, so did some research, but was surprised I couldn't find any that categorically says that turntable suspensions really isolate/substantially reduce outside vibrations, resonances, etc.

Any reference out there you can point out?

Cheers
diamondears
I suggest you look at the Kinetic Systems website for information on vibration control. You should also Google search Vibraplane and look at the article from Positive Feedback that will be in the search.
Dear Ct, What GK was referring to regarding the tendency of magnets oriented such that like poles are facing each other to want to slide sideways, around rather than toward each other, is indeed happening in your Verdier turntable.  Only the mating of the male and female elements of the bearing holds the platter in proper position over the base; otherwise the platter would slide off onto the floor or shelf.  This means that for better or worse there is always some additional friction generated, in the horizontal plane within the bearing assembly.  No criticism is intended; it's a fine turntable for sure. No design is perfect.

Likewise, every magnetically levitated shelf I've seen has some "stops" built in to it to prevent side to side motion of the levitated element of the shelf.

By the way, Diamondears, a spring need not be a metal coil---air can also function as a spring. A DIY isolation platform can be made by placing a barely-inflated inner tube (the lower the pressure, the lower the spring rate/resonant frequency) between two Baltic Birch plywood shelves. The discontinued Townshend Audio Seismic Sink was just such an isolation product, though fabricated of metal. Townshend now offers the Seismic Pod, a metal coil inside a rubber bellows, available in different rate versions (for different mass loads). The Townshend site has technical information, including a video demonstrating the Pod in use, explaining the theory behind the Pod.
Of course the spring can be an air spring, air being a compressible fluid, no? And designed just like steel compression springs to have a certain spring rate, which one selects for the load under consideration. Did I forget to mention my sub Hertz iso stand of yore was an air spring design? Of course, like everything else air spring designs are complicated by internal friction and damping. Some air springs have too much friction and or internal damping. And my single spring "Unipivot" Nimbus platform achieved 0.5 Hz resonance frequency in several directions. The Nimbus was also the only iso stand with six - count ’em! - directions of isolation.

geoffkait01-13-2016 1:06pm"Of course the spring can be an air spring, air being a compressible fluid, no?"

No, I don't think air is a fluid. It's a gas. (Actually, a combination of gases.)