When rap came out 30 years ago I thought it was just a fad

Now it seems like it dominates the music industry, movies and fashion. My only question is why?

taters
bdp24,
I saw the "60 minutes" segment about the composer/performer of "Hamilton." Yes, he's a very talented young man.
He said that he wrote the music to be sung in the Rap style; that's his interpretation. You don't have to like it, in fact I don't think I could sit thru an entire Rap musical to be honest.

This Broadway musical is another example of Rap that is here to stay and is not part of the "thug" genre. Earlier, I cited the Roots as an outstanding band with a Jazz, Funk, R&B sound using Rap and Soul styles to perform their vocals.

I dislike the Rap I hear today and the message it's sending to the younger generation, but there will be diversity within the genre in the future. And if you don't like it, that's fine; we all have our own unique preferences. This isn't a forum to convince you to like Rap.
Like others have stated, modern commercial rap is quite different from rap 20-30 yrs ago. What once was a creative platform has turned into an homogenized, watered down shell of itself. Same could be said of the convential "pop" single which craftwise peaked in the 70s.Same for aggressive hard rock: the pinnacle of the art form was in the 70s. Progressive rock: 70s. Reggae: 70s. Psychedelic: 60s. Glad I went to school years ago as there is nothing new today. 

phasecorrect: Your final remark reminded me of this gentleman:

Charles H. Duell was the Commissioner of US patent office in 1899. Mr. Deull’s most famous attributed utterance is that "(The Patent Office should be closed because) everything that can be invented has been invented."

Cheers!

"certain kind of so called music lovers"--but, of course, you don't mean anyone here, right? 

No accountability = no credibility.