Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
@dgarretson- I've had a MusicVault (or more correctly) MusicVaults for about 5 years.  Worked my way up through the line to a Pearl or Emerald(or maybe a hybrid, I can't remember).  Anyways I'm very happy w it.  I heard the Antipodes once in a totally unfamiliar system so there is no way I can compare the two, but I will tell you that Neal is very easy to work with and very responsive.  He will even log onto your device to help you out.  Because the MusicVault is a modified Windows computer it can easily be upgraded with additional storage, newer OS or better output devices. Neal has been very helpful in making recommendations in that regard; once even telling me that an upgrade I was trying to order would offer no benefits.  

Thanks for sharing Swamp.  So you are saying that we could send it back to have it upgraded as Windows upgrades?  I keep hearing that Windows doesn't sound as good as other OS's....I assume that would affect his player wouldn't it?
Ctsooner, you can actually tell a lot about which equipment is "better" for your tastes by going to the shows.  Any seasoned audiophile will be able to pick out traits that they like/dislike.  For example, I heard sibilance at CES from the Dynaudio wireless/active/digitally amped $11k speakers that I couldn't live with, and I don't need them to send a pair to my house.  I'm 100% positive that same sibilance would be there in my home.  

Obviously, not everything you hear will translate 100% to your home, but most things will unless you have gross differences in room interactions or speaker/amp mismatches.

Unless you do scientifically compliant DBT, almost all evaluations are going to have an anecdotal and subjective aspect anyway...whether it's in your home or a show.  The best part about the show is that they are all using roughly the same room and power source...plus you get to talk to the designer and understand more about their goals as well as any particular nuances about the show sound (i.e. they will often tell you about certain bass room modes that they couldn't tame with show supplies).

Ironically, my friend went to RMAF and bought an entire room of equipment because he liked the sound.  It didn't suddenly sound different in his home.  

If we're talking about a server, I'm not sure how it would perform any different at a show versus at home.  Nevertheless, you're right.  If you can A/B demo something in your home, that's ideal.  Thus, if you didn't hear anything better from the Antipodes in your system, then that's great.  You're saving yourself a nice amount of $$$.  Enjoy...
Hi all. 

Labtec, the Antipodes DX that I heard was the same unit used at a major show and was well broken in. It was disappointing, to say the least. I had such high hopes based on Steve 's raves but it just didn't blow me away or even come close. My moded Mac mini sounded better. And the Aurender blew them both away. I also just (this morning) compared the N10 to a well executed, very expensive, Windows PC server and although software variations and settings varied overall performance, none had the level of proper tone, energy and musical involvement that the N10 provided. The PC was closer to the Aurender then anything else I have heard, but in the end the Aurender N10 got me closest to the source and to the music. And the N10's retail price is lower then the discounted price I could get the PC server for. 

There are many mod'ers out there supping up PC's and Mac's to get the best there is. Wisnon is reporting about one that sounds like they are really going balls to the floor, and I am watching that one closely. 

I may may be able to get a Lumin server in next Wednesday to compare to the N10 as well. I'll keep reporting. 

As as far as DAC's go we are in a transition period. My SOTA Emm Labs DA2 is incoming (slowly) and the Chord DAVE and DCS Rossinni look intriguing to say the least. And Steve sounds like he's getting really close to a final version of his ODSX.....  I would love to get one of each of those in my room to compare to the DA2 after its fully burned in!

In the meantime, I'm burning in the Plasmatron now and will do an A/B of the tubes engaged and disengaged next Wednesday and report my findings. 

I need to acquire 2 Shunyata Sigma HC power cords for my amps so I can redistribute my Zitron Cobra's to my preamp and the Plasmatron. Also need a Sigma Digital for the incoming DAC so I can move the current Zitron Alpha Digital PC to the new Electrocompaniet sacd player, which needs to be burned in as well. 

Finally, I need another pair of interconnects and a PC for the new Zanden 1200mk3 phono stage I spontaneous purchased... And a better turn table while I'm at it for the reference phono stage I just acquired. But the analog will be the absolute last thing I work on...

I actually feel like I'm getting close to there. It's sort of a strange sensation. Lol

stay tuned. I'll keep reporting as I can. 

PS - for those who went to CES, keep the reports coming! Going to those shows can help to pique interest, but I would never rule something out because it didn't perform well at a show. 
I have the Music Vault M7 and absolutley love the capability, quaility and most importantly the support I get from Neal. He is one of the nicest guys you will meet in audio. His vast experience in the world of computers bodes well to his continuing to improve the MV. He is working on some power supply improvements which will improve it even more. His prototype results he has achieved so far have provided a huge improvement according to Neal. I am going to receive the improved version once he is ready to update my M7. Bottom the MV is a great product with best in class product and technical support