How do you spot an overplayed used lp without obvious scratches etc

I'm pretty good at spotting record defects and scratches that will or won't affect sound quality.
Even with a well done cleaning, you play what looks like a good album and it has simbilence, a rough thick surface noise etc.

how do you spot these from a gem pressing?, 
128x128audiotomb
audiotomb,

This might rock your boat and go against everything you've ever been taught.  Purchase a high mass tonearm, 12" is best.  Select a cartridge of your choice that is available with a 'conical' stylus and that tracks at a minimum of 2 grams.  (modern lps can track at up to 6 grams without damage… ask a pressing plant)

Now play your records.  I know this is very much the Art Dudley approach (that and using an idler drive table), but the records come to life and sound so much better then when using a light arm, cartridge and stylus.  It took me years to work up to tracking at 2grams which I do on my modified Dual 1229 with a Grace 747 tonearm.  On my Garrard 301 I have a SME 3009 and a Denon 103 tracking at 2.75.  This is what I play my pre 1965 LP's on with near perfect results.

Also, the conical stylus is very true to the groove and very easy on it as well. To your surprise, you won't miss out on any bass or treble using it. An elliptical stylus will dig deeper into the groove and do to the shape of the stylus in many cases will cut it's way through the groove, creating wear and surface noise.  LP's that you thought were unlistenable, can probably be played back with good results using the conical stylus.  
(I am certain that I will all types of grief for this from many of you)

Ever notice how most Japanese audio files will use low watt tube gear, old Altec or JBL horn speakers and high mass idler drive tables, arms and cartridges?  The reason is the tone and dynamics they reproduce.

It can certainly change your listening habits and make you rethink things.

Norman

Ha!  My spell check missed spelled 'audiophiles'… I need to go back to drinking caffeinated coffee so that I can catch that type of thing before I post…

Sorry...
N.

The 1980 Japanese Trick of the Tail is very nice

I track at 1.8 on my ZYX Universe

I considered a second arm with a less nuanced cartridge for heavier rocking stuff

audiotomb, 

1.8 should it very good.  Honestly, try the conical stylus first.  I don't use it all the time, but it's so good sounding I really might soon.

Norman