Your favorite BEACH BOYS LP besides PET SOUNDS

I generally prefer their Post Pet Sounds LP's.  Mine is Sunflower, with honorable mention to Surf's Up. 

fjn04

The Beach Boys are a very special Group to me, as not only did I already love them ("All Summer Long" in particular), they were the first I saw live (in the Summer of '64). But Brian Wilson is even more so, being the greatest songwriter of his generation imo (Paul McCartney may agree, as he names "God Only Knows" as his favorite song of all time. I'm not a big fan of Paul's, but on that we agree). When TBB started making them in '61-'62, albums were just a hit single or two with lots of filler. Not just BB albums, ALL Rock n' Roll albums. One of the reasons Pet Sounds is considered as important as it is, is because it was the first Rock n' Roll album conceived and created AS an album---every song was an "A", no filler. I have never liked it as much as I am "supposed" to, but it was hearing Pet Sounds that inspired McCartney to also do an all "A" song album, Rubber Soul.

And it was hearing Rubber Soul that inspired Brian, being a competitive kinda guy, to create "Smile", the first Rock n' Roll "concept" album. Recording commenced in '66, but the album was never completed (for reasons too complicated to go into here). "Smiley Smile" was released in its place, and was a huge disappointment to all. Brian went into seclusion, not fully reappearing for many years.

The Beach Boys (basically without Brian) subsequently recorded and released a few more spotty albums, but it wasn't until they left Capitol Records (who were still promoting them as "The Number One Surf Band In The World!", this at the height of the psychedelic/hippie era. Surf---how cool ;-) and signed with Reprise Records (a Warner Brothers label) that they came roaring back with "Sunflower", a great album. As is "Surf's Up". Those two, I agree fjn04, are probably their best. But the "Smile" recordings were finally assembled into their somewhat originally-conceived form and released a few years back, and the double-CD "Smile" album is an essential album for Brian Wilson, at least, fans. It is quite amazing.

I like the Capitol mono LP version of "Smile" that Capitol managed to put together with help from Brian Wilson, releaed in 2011.

1967 was such a breakout year for rock--Days of Future Past by Moody Blues, Surrealistic Pillow by Jefferson Airplane, Axis: Bold as Love by the Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Doors self-titled, and Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. If Brian had gotten any help from Capitol and some cooperation (instead of opposition) from the rest of the Beach Boys, you could have added "Smile" to that list of landmark albums in 1967.
I am also a big fan of their post-"surf" stuff such as Surf’s Up, Sunflower, and Holland, and also Carl and the Passions - So Tough, which was, for whatever reason, packaged as a double with a re-release of Pet Sounds.

When playing most LP’s, I have a tendency to play both sides consecutively. In the case of Holland, I always felt that they goofed when they numbered that album, and always play side 2 first!
"The Beach Boys are a very special Group to me"

Me too bdp24. "Surfin Safari" was my first album, a Christmas gift from my parents. I suppose my love of vocal harmony was as much the main reason initially but it was also the Southern California culture that I was also drawn to, girls, cars and surf pretty much in that order.  The early stuff is pretty basic, much like the Beatles. I certainly remember  around 1964-1965 the competitions on the radio as to which is your favorite of the two groups seemingly was always won by the Beatles to my dismay! In any case it is interesting to observe the progression of the musical and vocal harmonies with each succeeding album. Unfortunately for the BBs, the British invasion and the advent of more progressive R&R diminished their popularity during the time of Brian Wilson's most creative period which coincided with the release of "Pet Sounds", a deviation from their earlier surf, car and girl songs. You can really hear the introspection and real progression of both the music and lyrics of Tony Asher. It is without any question my very favorite BB album and Brian's masterpiece. It is the very first album I listened to where each song spoke to me.

I personally don't think there is a better BB or for that matter rock/pop album than Pet Sounds but would recommend  many of the ones mentioned above including Sunflower, Surf's Up, Carl and the Passions- So Tough and Holland. Of recent release is "Smile" with different mixes of previously released material, it is a real gem. It includes tracks of the incomplete "Smile" album that was never released when Brian went into his long term funk. Of the pre "Pet Sound" albums I would recommend "Shut Down-Volume Two"; "The Beach Boys Today". There is a lot of filler on both the last two but some really great ballads that you won't find unless you buy the albums. Long live Brian Wilson!

I've been sampling both Shut Down II and Surfer Girl on You Tube.  I'm leaning Surfer Girl because the filler songs are a little more interesting and the QRP SG is supposed to sound great. Then I will focus on Pet Sounds and after. As good as the mono PS is supposed to be, I think I'm waiting for the Stereo. The BB section in vinyl shops I have tried  always have slim pickings. Does anyone have the Smile sessions on VINYL? The remaster from 2011, I believe the only one. Cheers -Don