Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Good News, for me at least, I am not losing my mind.   I did just purchase a CD with Porter, Salvant and a woman named Rene Marie appearing as singers.   It was not the Harold Mabern CD, but the Marsalis / JLCO Christmas CD, "Big Band Holidays'

It's a good disc.   All the tunes are on youtube.   But there is a WTF? factor.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6mvjnhwrEs[/url]

None of the singers are credited on the CD.   Their names do not appear anywhere on the packaging or notes.  They sing the same tunes as is shown on youtube, but they do not receive any sort of acknowledgement on the physical CD.   WTF indeed!!

There is nothing to say, except, It's Ray.
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mshJwa4aXrM[/url]

Cheers
After 'leading' almost 500,000 American Soldiers to their deaths, one of his first acts as President, was to gut the G.I. Bill.

Military-Industrial Complex?   Be glad we have one.   Every other industrialized country does.

Cheers
Yes, he was never forgiven at alma mater for telling the truth.
Even more so for telling all in government to "never trust the Generals" on a regular basis .

Total US casualties in WW II were at 420 K, not all in Europe obviously .
Most military historians are of the mind that the German and Japanese forces had some role to play in that.

NO nation, or group of nations, in the world has any M-I complex remotely as expensive as ours on a per-capita basis or any other basis . Greatest danger to USA, by far,  is its debt .

Speaking of Jazz, jazzists -I am listening to a Larry Willis solo CD I bought 
yesterday at Goodwill .
He sure is an elegant pianist , is he a big deal on jazz scene ?
**** He sure is an elegant pianist , is he a big deal on jazz scene ?***

He has played with a lot of big time folks.   He is music director for Mapleshade Productions.  I have the CD 'solo spirit' and one other.  I assume this is the one you have.  Its on the Mapleshade label.   They record a lot of solo stuff.   Interesting liner notes and tunes of a religious Nature.   Is he a big deal?  A question for The Frogman.

I would guess it would depend on who you asked, and in what context.   Nice CD.

Generals are like Doctors.  You may not trust this one, or that one, but in the end, you gonna trust a Doctor.

Cheers