What's the best Sony CD/SACD player?

Hi all, there's been a bunch of talk lately about Sony's latest 5400ES SACD player. I have a 9100ES DVD player I use for both video and audio. What are peoples' opinions on the best new or used Sony for CD/SACD sources?

Specifically, what about the new 5400ES, the XA-9000ES, the 777ES, vs my 9100ES? They all seem available for around $1000.00.

What else would people suggest in that price range for 90% RBCD and 10% SACD? The rest of my system is Linn. I'm also thinking about a used Linn Unidisk SC.

Thanks!
bmdduck
Check out just how extensive Modwrights total rebuild of the Sony 5400 is,a steal for the amount of musical enjoyment you get itsound better than anything at 5x this ,and this is no exageration.
http://www.modwright.com/modifications/15
Just came across this thread. I have the XA9000ES and a STRDA9000ES receiver. I had been using a 777ES receiver for years, with great results! I still have 2 777ES receivers, one that the 9000 replaced, and 1 still in use (with Belle Klipsch as L,R fronts and Klipsch Cornwalls as L,R rears). The STRDA9000ES and XA9000ES have the unique ability (there are a very few other firewire compatable pre-amps/receivers) to link with one another for SACD playback. The DSD signal from the XA9000ES passes into the receiver, remains in the digital domain (because of the S-Master Pro digital amplifiers in the receiver) until a conversion just before hitting the speaker wires. Now in my case, I use a TAN9000ES in BridgedTranformerLess mode to drive my L,R fronts because although rated at 200 wpc (just like the 200 wpc rating of the receiver's 7 digital amps) I prefer that sound ("warmer") to the internal L,R digital amps. SACD sounds incredible on this combination, with 2ch and multi-channel SCADs! I have 3 Klipsch Legend KLF-30s across the front, a pair of Heresys for front side surrounds, KSP-S6 rear side surrounds, and AW600 rear surrounds (for now) along with a Definitive Technology Trinity subwoofer. I have NEVER been listening to music or watching a movie and thought to myself "I wish..." or "If only..." This system sounds amazing at all volume levels and will play as loud (while staying clean and clear) as anyone could possibly desire.

I use the Sony S9000ES in a second system as transport and couldn't be happier. It is connected to Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC via Silnote digital cable currently, in past MIT. I recently made a couple of Western Electric WE14ga power cords with Furutech connectors. Wow! Nice improvement everywhere, natural/organic, more presence, very musical and dynamic. Bass, mids, it has it all in spades. Soon, going to change capacitors to Arizona Green, resistors to Tepro or Ohmite Brown Devil. Need some advice and guidance from my favorite mod guru...I'll also be on the lookout for the 707. Best, Rob
The Modwright 5400ES is world class and adds the dimensionality, weight and air that the stock Sony barely hints at!
I have always wanted the XA-9000ES cd/sacd player.
It has some really interesting features that are unique to this Sony spinner.