Classical Music Compositions from 1940 and later - Vinyl only

This is the theme for the next music listening gathering of our local group and I'm looking for suggestions. This is a vinyl only listening session, so new music available only on digital are excluded. Yes, I know that is limiting, but that's the way it is for this listening session. 

A few pieces I've been thinking to bring from my collection, just starting from the "As",  are:

Adams, John - Harmonium, for large orchestra and chorus - De Waart/San Francisco SO - ECM 25012
Alwyn - Str Qt 2 (1975) - Quartet of London - Chandos ABRD 1063
Alwyn - Symphony No. 2 - Alwyn/LPO - Lyrita SRCS 85
Arnold, Malcolm - Pf Trio, op54 - Nash Ensemble - Hyperion A66171
Arnold, Malcolm - Overture to Tam O'Shanter, Op51 - Eiji Oue/MinnO - Reference Recordings RM 2510
Bernstein - Serenade for Violin Solo, Strings and Perc - Bernstein/SymoftheAir, Isaac Stern, vn - Columbia

What music on LP would you recommend? 
128x128rushton
kmccarty, + 1 for the Strauss Oboe Cnt., I was going to mention it but looked years for a vinyl recording and never found one .Seems to be none on Amazon either.

Rushton , a noble effort on your part to call attention to  those little played  fine composers !
Ned Rorem  in particular caught my eye , I believe he is perhaps the best  neglected American composer even among classical lovers. His songs are superb and his Violin Concerto is exquisite  . I think there was a vinyl of the later on Erato but seems unlikely you’d ever find one .
Schubert, I'll have to keep an eye out for Rorem's Violin Concerto - one never knows. I have his Eleven Studies for Eleven Players, String Symphony, Sunday Morning, and Symphony No. 3. I like them all and have always particularly enjoyed the Eleven Studies.

Kmccarty, also +1 for the Strauss Oboe Concerto. LP: Edo de Waart/NPO, Holliger -ob, Philips 6500 174

A few other American composers you could add to that list would be Roy Harris, Walter Piston, Carl Ruggles.  The quintessential American composer for me, however, is Charles Ives.  The Concord Sonata is 1939, if that is close enough.  If not, then how about his Fourth Symphony, which is a wonderful work?  

I would also heartily second Frogman's recommendation of Messaien.   The Quartet For The End Of Time is a good place to start with his music - there is a great deal of it, however.  You could probably find some solo piano things fairly easily on vinyl.  
oops - if we are talking American composers since 1940, Lou Harrison and Elliot Carter should not be left out - their works can be found on vinyl as well.  

The separation of Classical and Pop musics can be indefensible in purely artist terms. A fair amount of 20th Century Classical barely qualifies as music at all, imo, and an album of the most artistically ambitious and rewarding music of the Century came from not a Classical composer, but a Pop songwriter, Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys. His 1965 album Pet Sounds was hailed by Paul McCartney as the best album he had ever heard, and was Pauls inspiration for The Beatles Sgt. Pepper (don't blame Brian if you, as I, don't care for Pepper ;-). Pet Sounds is still voted All-Time Number One Album in many poles. But PS is not the album to which I refer.

In 1966, Brian, with the other Beach Boys on the road, and using the best studio musicians in Los Angeles (The Wrecking Crew, found on albums from Frank Sinatra to Sonny & Cher), began the recording of an album he conceived, envisioned, and wrote to tell the story of the expansion of the United States of America from coast-to-coast----Manifest Destiny, in music and lyric. Brian Wrote the music, and he brought in Van Dyke Parks to write the lyrics.

Recording began, but Brian's vision was soon being questioned by the obnoxious Mike Love, lead "singer" (he stinks) of TBB, who not only didn't understand it or Van Dykes lyrics (Mike never progressed beyond "teenage" love songs, and Vans lyrics were rather abstract), but also thought it wouldn't be commercially successful (Mike had already amassed three ex-wives and kids by that time that he had to support, I believe). As the recording dragged on for over a year, Capitol Records started pressuring Brian for "product", something to sell (Groups were putting out at least an album a year at that time, sometimes two!). As the resistance from Mike and the pressure from Capitol increased, Brians inner demons rose to the surface (he had already suffered a nervous breakdown in '64, and is a diagnosed Paranoid Schizophrenic), and that combined with his intake of copious amounts of LSD and Cocaine resulted in his complete and utter implosion, the "Smile" album remaining unfinished. Brian retreated to the bedroom of his Bel-Air mansion, pulled the covers over his head, and stayed there for a number of years.

Needing a new album, Brians brother Carl threw together some of the completed "Smile" recordings and some new, Brian-less material, and Capitol released "Smiley Smile", an album Carl described as being a bunt to the "Smiles" home run. I knew none of this when I first heard SS in early '68, and to say I was left speechless is a gross understatement. It made everything else of the time sound so.....pedestrian. And that includes all the psychedelic music that was supposed to be re-imagining Rock n' Roll. It did no such thing, but "Smile" sure would have. What a shame. In 1968, Leonard Bernstein produced and narrated a one-hour TV Special about the newly-sophisticated Pop music he found so interesting, and Brians solo performance of "Surfs Up" (a song to have been on "Smile") on his living room grand piano was the centerpiece of the show. The clip is viewable on You Tube, and is absolutely mesmerizing.

Over the years, Smile took on a legendary status, with many bootleg LPs and CDs coming out with a lot of the unreleased "Smile" recordings. Finally, a couple of years ago, Capitol paid some professional recording people very familiar with both Brian and "Smile" to find all the tapes, listen to and organize them, and prepare a proper "Smile" release. It is available as a 9-CD boxset, and in a 2-LP or CD version. The boxset is overkill, with an entire disc devoted to every single take, partial and complete, rehearsals etc., of "Good Vibrations", and another for "Heroes & Villains". They're both great songs, but an entire disc of each?! The 2-LP set will do nicely.