Brahms Quintet for Clarinet and Strings, op. 115.

Please suggest any recoring(s) of this beautiful peice.

The ones I have are recorded by:

1. Berlin Philharmonic Octet Ensemble.
2. Amadeus String Quartet.

Thanks and Happy Listening!

Otto
yu11375
There's a good video on youtube (decent quality audio/video) of David Shifrin with the Guarneri Quartet playing this piece in 2009.

If you're interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtN1scGYJKA
It's amazing that this discussion still attracts attention from people after its initial posting fourteen years ago.  

Last night, I printed the score and listened to all recordings I collected with score on my hand.  It is still such unique piece of Brahms in his late life.  Another one would be his piano intermezzo, op. 117.  He described it as "the cradle song of my sorrows".     

During these years, I collected additional 3 unmentioned CD recordings of this piece. They are listed below for your reference:

1. Smetana Quartet / Vladimir Riha (recorded in 1964, released by Supraphon in 2009).  This performance didn't take the repeat in first movement. It is a very energetic performance.  This recording  creates a enclosure presentation comparable to a small recital hall.

2. Bartok Quartet / Bela Kovacs (recorded in 1976, released by Hugaroton).  This performance didn't take the repeat in the first movement, either.  The first violin has a very lyric and subtle singing tone.  In term of recording, it is quite different from the Smetana's recording.  It presents a perception from seating position in the 1st tier of a grand concert hall. 

3. Alban Berg Quartet / Sabine Meyer (recording of live performance in 1998, released by EMI in 1999).  This performance focused on lots of downbeat by first violin to lure your attention to the beginning of the phrase.  Audience applause was retained in the recording, if that irritates you. 

Happy Listening and Happy Holidays.

Otto