Great multichannel amps do not cut it in stereo

This is more of a comment than a question.

I have been dabbling in hifi for almost two decades, and in the past 8 years or so moved into what I call 'quality' audio - as far as my budget could muster. I listen to multichannel all the time for TV and movies, but love my 2 channel set up, supported by my dedicated 2 channel amp to run stereo duties.

Since 2009 I had been lusting after the Arcam AVR600 as a no-compromise one box solution for both multichannel and stereo. With the AVR600 model coming to the end of its life I managed to land a new one for a very reasonable price compared to its original rrp. Heavy? Yes. Impressive? Yes.
However, as a two channel amplifier it did not come close to my $1500 Burson Audio integrated stereo amp in terms of detail, soundstage, PRAT etc - in my opinion.
As many have said before, you can not expect one car to be both a utility and a sports car; and you can not expect a jack-of-all-trades also be a master in one area. And this became very evident to me in my comparison.

The Arcam AVR600 is definitely a nice piece of kit, albeit it has its technical gremlins. But it simply can not keep up with a high quality dedicated stereo system, if that is what floats your boat. I can not imagine multichannel separates being much better, as these had been extensively compared to the AVR600, with most indicating a close to on-par performance.

So really, my message is that for high quality multichannel and great stereo reproduction, look for a two box solution including a dedicated stereo amplifier. Spend less on the former, and more on the latter!
128x128marcinziemski
The new Theta Dread D Is a great amp and will compete favorably with any 2 channel amp at the SAME price point.  My Dread D is configured with 5 channels.  A great feature is 2 AC inlets that allows the amp to act like 2 mono blocks when only 2 channels are being used. 

Home theatre and 2 channel doesn't work very often in the same box ie receiver or in the same room very often, too many compromises. Best way to do it two separate rooms two separate systems. I run an Anthem pre/pro with a five channel amp for theatre and a Krell setup for two channel. Works the best if you have the room. Just my two cents. 
I live in small NYC apartment...the living room is used for BOTH my 2 channel audiophile system AND my movie theater as with ceiling-mounted projected projecting between my Platinum Audio Solo speakers onto the wall.  I am thinking about the following - from the hi-rez analog outputs of an Oppo, feed the FL and FR into the analong inputs of my DACpreamp and the center analog into a long RCA connected to a single self-powered monitor speaker set up between the Solos. 
Think that would work???

Some multi channel power amps can be pretty good sounding.

I had to put my AV surround amp in as main player for the system for a couple of weeks (an ATI 1505) and was pleasantly surprised with the decent sound.
I never liked multi-channel (5.1) audio, with a TV, or in a movie theater.

The picture is in front, there is "NO' back!

Stereo only, for home theater IMO.