Who tried Class D only to return to S/S or Tube

And what were the reason you did a backflip back to S/S or tube.
As there are a few pro Class D threads being hammered at the moment, I thought I'd put this up, to get some perspective.

Cheers George
128x128georgehifi

Atma, I extend to you the invitation to get out of the house more often. Believe it or not, evolution or not, there is already "Wonderful Life" out there to behold. Oddly enough, it is not even based on tubes, OTL, or classic SS topologies.

To quote the immortal words of our Rodman99999...

"Just don't fall into the category of those whose minds, like concrete, are thoroughly mixed up and permanently set"

Regards, G.

G.

^^ 'out of the house' by that do you mean visit customers, go to audio shows, visit dealers and manufacturers? I do that already! We even experiment with class D in house; we heard the Bel Canto class D amps before they were even released to the public; we've been actively observing the evolution of class D for nearly 15 years.

Its **really** obvious that that you misinterpreted my prior post- go back, and read it again.

Atma, sadly, I had read your post very carefully... I was hoping to avoid pointing out to you that your logic is painfully flawed.

Essentially you are stating that while class D persists on an evolutionary curve, at any particular point of the curve, it is inherently not good enough to yield a top quality listening experience because a "better" experience is just around the corner. Trez bizarre, n'est pas?! 

As for Bel Canto, it is a brand, not an amp... In their history, there are a few dozen models, ranging from their first units several years ago, up to the Black. Did you experience them all? And what about other brands?

From a logic point of view your process is called a false induction. It has the form :

If set X contains at least one element without property A, than the entire set X lacks property A.

Besides, demonstrating a negative remains a futile quest.

Thus I renew my words of encouragement... Do get out of the house more often... Or at least, leave your preconceptions home when you do so... You might be surprised about what you end up discovering!

G.

Atmasphere made no big logical mistake - his assumption is valid, though the result of the technological evolution is by no means guaranteed. In other words, class D amps might get a little better and then exhaust their potential, or they might keep improving more and more with no end in sight.

guidocorona, if you were any linear amp designer and saw on the r&d bench test a square wave that looked like this.

http://www.stereophile.com/images/1212AM1fig02.jpg

You would say this amp is broken, do not put it into production yet till we get rid of that ringing.

This is what all Class D’s look like, and if they filter the s**t out of it so it doesn’t look half as bad, then you would have an amp that is rolled off at -3db at 5khz (no highs).

You been told now by a few, that the technology is not there yet to get that (ringing saw tooth) out of the audio band.

Once the technology is there and they put that switching frequency way up higher, then and only then will they be able to filter the s**t out of it away from the audio band and leave a nice clean square wave, and only then will Class D have become of age.

Cheers George