Acoustic Energy AE2...opinions?

Category: Speakers

Heard them at a friends place,first impression it offers a much larger protrait than the monitor size,soundstaging was very large and wide,a tad shallow on depth but I think it was due to his placement(3'out)rather than the speaker itself,he had AE stands(a must) which is very critical with these speakers.Vocals was amazingly clean with a touch of air,strings was tight and crisp,not a very bass friendly transducers though,seem to get abit muddy below 40 cycles.Overall a very pleasant experience.One thing I notice these speakers luv tube amplifications especially the French luvies(Jadia JA mono blocks)..
bmwhaus
Hey Bmwhaus
I've owned both. I sold my AE1's MKII for $700US, but there was marks and scratches on them. Undamaged I could have gotten $1000-$1100us easy. The AE1's gave you about 85-90% of the AE1 Signatures, The differences were the Sigs were a little more transparent, and had slightly better dynamics. These speakers indeed sound best with tubes. Most solid state amps will sound thin/digital/ bright as these are very fast and very revealing speakers, with the treble sounding bright and fatiguing in the wrong system. The base is ever so gently humped around 80hz-120hz by about 3-5db's so pick other components that arent 'fat' in the bottem end. Hope this helps

dudeaudio
I would definitely agree Acoustic Energy AE1 and AE2 sound "better" with tube amplifications...I truly think the Jadis Defy 7 adds the extra magic to these wonderful monitors.