Review: Blind Faith 24BIT Reissue & Second Disk

Category: Music

WOW! I just spent the last two hours listening to the best new rock music I've heard come out in thirty years! If you've ever wished Blind Faith had put out a second album, and thought that it was impossible, you'll be as thrilled as I am. A new deluxe double album of blind faith was just released by Polydor that was re-mixed in 24bit and it's amazing. The first disk is the original album along with 5 unreleased cuts. The second disk is about 50 minutes of 4 jam sessions. The sound is fantastic. Rick Grech's bass is solid and clear, often defining the studio space. Baker's drums are crisp and extremely well defined, although I felt a bit forward in the stage. Pictures from there set-up actually appear as if the drums were on an equal plan with the others so maybe this is accurate, just not the norm. Steve's organ and/or piano are a bit weak, not as crisp as the others and his vocals are the weakest part of the recording. There just seams to be a lot of distortion and harshness, I'm assuming it's the mikes they used. Then there is Clapton. This is maybe the best I've ever heard him play. The last of the first disk and the whole second is a show of Clapton's genius in a way we could have only prayed to hear before. This is what I have been waiting 30 years to hear, Clapton jamming. His guitar has amazing clarity with a full blooming blues sound. The performance is a 9 out of ten. THIS IS A MUST HAVE FOR CLAPTON FANS!!!
128x128jadem6
The deluxe set has a nicely written anthology of Blind Faith and they spent some time discussing the American tour. They were often overwelmed by the venues and the crowds and the equipment they owned was not at all capable of getting above the din of the crowds. Great story of the early concert tours. My story would be with the first Stones tour in '66. They played at an old 3000 cap. ballroom in Excelsior, MN. (the Jimmie at the drug store is an Excelsior man that Mick met in the line at the counter) Anyway, that night they started a riot of sorts with the biker crowd that called "Big Reggies" home. They threw bottles and stones at the stage and were about to physiclly remove them when Mick and the boys figured it out and left. It was ten years before they came to Minnesota again only to have there show cut short due to the riot and teargas out side that had come in through the ventilation system (the tear gas, not the riot). I think we had a full Stevie Wonder (yawn) set and maybe 15 minutes of the Stones. The best part of the show was when Stevie was working from insturment to insturment and almost walked of the stage but was saved by a security guy.
I saw this CD advertised but the ad didn't give details about the remastering, packaging, etc. I assumed it was not a straight re-issue based on the price. This is great news as this is one of my favorites and the original is also among the worst recordings I've heard on CD. Thanks for the info.
I found the second disc very interesting, but in a "scholarly" sort of way. It gives excellent insight as to the private workings of some great artists, but leaves a lot to be desired IMO. I would say that the second disc is for fans only. Being a fan, I am quite pleased. Haven't had a chance to really crank it yet.