Review: Michael Wolff power cords Carbon Gain Power cord

Category: Cables

For my system, and my listening room, the Michael Wolff CARBON GAIN CORDs have been a true find. I have lived with 2 GAIN CORDs for 4 months. They seem to capture the music’s honest expression. I don't plan on switching anytime soon. Mine are the copper/silver/carbon variety, and they have no trouble on my hefty Blue Circle BC-8 MONOBLOCS (120,000 uF capacitance per channel AND 2,600 watt power transformer, PER BLOCK!!!). For me, the 2 most important criteria are: "tonality", then, "soundstage". Most of the power cords I have tried seem to destroy, what I perceive to be, the authenticity of the artist's expression by either shifting the tonality and/or shifting the soundstage to unrealistic extremes. Not only do these cords nail the "tonality" and REALLY nail the "soundstage", BUT ALSO, they go even further into the expression. The "clarity" is great, and the "purity" shines through, and this enables the expressions to breathe. For example, the bassoons, oboes, and cellos, have a depth, a strength, an air, a crispness, and a delicacy. This embodies the whole expression, not just one dimension. The highs have a great delicacy to them, never bright. And the bass is expressive down to the lowest registers. And, finally, a hanging note breathes of life, from beginning to fading away. These are great testaments for a happy, well-powered system. And against the rest of the competition I have tried, that says a lot! A very happy recommendation.

Associated gear
Audio Note CDT-2 transport, 3.1x BALANCED dac, Emotive SIRA, Blue Circle BC-8 MONOBLOCKS, JM Reynaud OFFRANDES mains, Audio Physic LUNA sub, Equitech 1.5Q power supply.
HMS Grand Finale II speaker cables, bi-wired, Esprit ETERNA digital cable and I/C.

Similar products
Custom Power Cord TOP GUN, Kimber 10 POWERKORD, Kimber P10 PALLADIAN-10 POWERKORD, Virtual Dynamics NITE, Shunyata Research BLACK MAMBA, Audience POWERCORD, JPS DIGITAL AC, JPS ANALOG AC, Blue Circle BC-62, Harmonix X-DC STUDIOMASTER.
mattend
Zaikesman,

As we have seen in this thread before, you have misinterpreted what is written. Comchenry is not saying his system is "dark" sounding or that his system now has
" spurious artifacts". Indeed his point is that initially interpreted a change in dynamics which turned out to be
"a highy resolved purity that was hard to believe and very impressive"
Michael, you are becoming tediously persistent in your determination to subvert my intent here. One might think, from your defensive and somewhat accusatory responses to my posts, that I am naysaying your product or something. On the contrary, I have been trying to say that I have reasons to find the idea of your product personally intriguing.

If you go back and carefully reread what Comchenry wrote, and my reaction to it, I believe you will find it is more yourself who is having difficulty with "misinterpretation". I think you especially should reread the opening sentence of my last post, the true meaning of which seems to have totally eluded you in your zeal. (Hint: It is entirely supportive of where someone in your business is presumably - or ought to be - coming from. Are you familiar with the concept of 'less is more'?) If you need me to spell it out for you further, please let me know by email and I will gladly oblige.

Beyond that, I was otherwise responding to a part of his post having little directly to do with his experience with your powercord, and my following remarks did not concern this factor, other than to state that he could expect changes of at least similar magnitude when changing tubes as with power cords, an issue I believe was implicitly raised. My words were written to him, in support of his efforts, and do not to me require you to come anyone's defense, be it his or yours.
You did, and apology accepted. My apologies to Mattend and the other respondents if I distracted in any way from the main thrust of your review comments. Everyone please carry on with the MW PC lovefest. (I will be emailing MW privately with my concerns about why I suspect this little episode may have occurred in the first place.)