Do I need a pre-amp?

Major noob here. Researching my first turntable purchase. One potential problem is my existing receiver, Marantz SR4001. Not sure if this home-theater receiver is immediately compatible or whether I will need an additional phono pre-amp? Here is spec book: http://newmedia.engl.iastate.edu/tutorials/DFU_SR4001_SR5001_Final_eng.pdf

Looks like there is a pre-amp OUT but I don't see any phono IN. Maybe that doesn't matter, but I'm not sure bc I don't know very much about this stuff. If I need a pre-amp, how much should I expect to spend to be on par w my entry-level B&W floor-standing speakers? I also have a B&W sub that I would like to keep thumping and will changing my setup require altering that config?

Also, this is the turntable I'm considering: https://app.audiogon.com/listings/turntables-conrad-johnson-sonographe-sg-3-with-alphason-opal-sumiko-andante-turntable-tonear-2015-10-12-analog-02461-newton-highlands-ma Is this a good starter table and on par w my setup?

Thanks in advance for helping me learn and sorry for the scattered questions. I've heard great things about this forum.
lionsdwarf
Being the owner of the SG-3, I have always wondered how it would compare to the newer budget tables. In 1983 the SG-3 sold for $400. It has mounted a Sumiko MMT arm which sold for $250 making total cost $650 in 1983 dollars. I have not taken the time to make a comparison however. I believe the SG-3 with MMT arm might sell for ~$450 today.

The key to getting the best sound/$$$ is matching cartridge to phono stage. Check out Music Direct and Audio Advisor for recommendations. I suggest you purchase a new cartridge and possibly a used stage.
Vintage or modern? It's a matter of taste, but you should have some knowledge of vintage turntables to choose right. I myself do not have it, so I would get a modern one, probably Pro-Ject. Another point is do you want belt drive or direct drive turntable? Check out needledoctor.com to see what they have, they are usually quite helpful and might give you a sound advice, unless of course your mind is set on getting vintage table.
There is a number of inexpensive phono stages, I am not sure how much different they are. In any case, your phono stage should be at least a little better than your cartridge and certainly not worse.
Inna, my impression from OP's post was that he might not have the knowledge base to make an informed decision about vinyl, nor with his equipment might he be able to appreciate the distinction (whatever that might be) in sound between an analog and digital source. There are plenty of folks on the web who smoke on about the magic of vinyl. If I were OP, I'd spend my money on upgrading the components I have rather than entering another realm. Yes, I own a Thorens TD 124 with SME Series III arm, but more as an icon than a source -- it's both a visual and auditory delight.

db
"Inna, my impression from OP's post was that he might not have the knowledge base to make an informed decision about vinyl, nor with his equipment might he be able to appreciate the distinction (whatever that might be) in sound between an analog and digital source. "

I'm willing to bet that's why the OP started this thread in the first place. He's asking for help because he doesn't know everything.
Zd542, my comments have been aimed at OP's motivation for vinyl, given the other components he's using. If my house had a leaky roof, I'd be unlikely to be shopping for a gazebo. In the age of very fine digital sound, vinyl seems an audiophile indulgence. Fun, perhaps, but not a necessary complication for the enjoyment of music. Maybe it's just a sense of priorities. For me, speakers I like would come first, followed closely by a suitable amp to drive them and a reliable source. Only after the basics are in place might I shift my attention to frills. Now if I got caught up in the drift of smoke coming in my direction . . .

db