Do I need a pre-amp?

Major noob here. Researching my first turntable purchase. One potential problem is my existing receiver, Marantz SR4001. Not sure if this home-theater receiver is immediately compatible or whether I will need an additional phono pre-amp? Here is spec book: http://newmedia.engl.iastate.edu/tutorials/DFU_SR4001_SR5001_Final_eng.pdf

Looks like there is a pre-amp OUT but I don't see any phono IN. Maybe that doesn't matter, but I'm not sure bc I don't know very much about this stuff. If I need a pre-amp, how much should I expect to spend to be on par w my entry-level B&W floor-standing speakers? I also have a B&W sub that I would like to keep thumping and will changing my setup require altering that config?

Also, this is the turntable I'm considering: https://app.audiogon.com/listings/turntables-conrad-johnson-sonographe-sg-3-with-alphason-opal-sumiko-andante-turntable-tonear-2015-10-12-analog-02461-newton-highlands-ma Is this a good starter table and on par w my setup?

Thanks in advance for helping me learn and sorry for the scattered questions. I've heard great things about this forum.
lionsdwarf

Showing 5 responses by zd542

"11-10-15: Dbphd
I'm having trouble imagining a guy who uses an AVR and wants the bother of vinyl. A good digital source would seem more fitting."

We all have to start somewhere. Maybe in the future, he'll upgrade his other components in a way that suits you.
Rcprince is correct. You need a phono preamp and your Marantz doesn't have one. Since you're new, I would just buy all 3 as a package from a dealer that's good with TT's.
"Inna, my impression from OP's post was that he might not have the knowledge base to make an informed decision about vinyl, nor with his equipment might he be able to appreciate the distinction (whatever that might be) in sound between an analog and digital source. "

I'm willing to bet that's why the OP started this thread in the first place. He's asking for help because he doesn't know everything.
"11-12-15: Dbphd
Zd542, my comments have been aimed at OP's motivation for vinyl, given the other components he's using."

I suspect the OP won't be the first person to use a TT with a receiver. Maybe not even the last. As for the rest of it, its good to know how you do things. Its like a carefully plotted course that we should all follow.
"Zd542, Why the snarky sarcasm? My point was simply why would OP allocate money to a frill like a TT when he appears less than satisfied his more basic audio components."

Since when is a TT a frill component? People on this web site sell cables that cost thousands of dollars to upgrade to new cables that cost even more thousands of dollars. Very few people call frill on that. Also, the OP doesn’t say he's unhappy, he wants to upgrade his system.

It doesn't cost a lot to get a good sounding TT. It also doesn't cost a lot to go on ebay and get large collections of records, in very good shape, for not much either. Maybe the OP wants to build his collection. Its not like you can go to a store and buy a CD any more.