why do people feel the need to buy expensive cable

I have tried expensive cables and one's moderately priced. I would say there were some differences but I can't actually say the expensive cables were better. IMHO I believe a lot of people buy expensive cables because they don't actual trust their ears and are afraid of making a mistake. They figure the expensive cables are better for the fact they cost more. If you have a difference of opinion or share the same thoughts, I would like to hear about it.
taters
Addendum to my last post: Ordinarily when one requires more power, I.e., current, to the speakers one simply turns up the volume knob, no?
Expensive cables don't cange your amp"s sound. Your amp is what it is. Cables ADD there own sound to give you the illusion of "unlocking" something magical that cheaper cables were unable to.
True That . So the designer of amps and speakers should have the knowledge of what is needed to make there designs perform optimally . Why not tell the consumer ?
The price of a cable has nothing to do with better performance . Finding the right cable for your equipment is what is needed . If a more expensive cable works so be it .You may find the same attribute in a lesser priced cable as well.
"True That . So the designer of amps and speakers should have the knowledge of what is needed to make there designs perform optimally . Why not tell the consumer ? "

They can't be too specific because its impossible listen to everything in all possible combinations. Also factor in personal taste.

Most manufacturers do give some general info on how to get the best from the speakers, in the owners manual and/or online. Another option is to call them directly. If you tell them about your system and taste, you usually get much more info out of them.