Why Don't More People Love Audio?

Can anyone explain why high end audio seems to be forever stuck as a cottage industry? Why do my rich friends who absolutely have to have the BEST of everything and wouldn't be caught dead without expensive clothes, watch, car, home, furniture etc. settle for cheap mass produced components stuck away in a closet somewhere? I can hardly afford to go out to dinner, but I wouldn't dream of spending any less on audio or music.
tuckermorleyfca6
Cdc, you're correct, unfortunately there is no user manual when it comes down to buying audio gear and or trying to assemble a good sounding system. But if you have been in the hobby long enough you just know when you have reached that point of perfection. You might say that's it! that's the sound I've been looking for. I have reached this point on several occasions with different components only to screw it up later because I couldn't leave well enough alone. I think I'm more disciplined now.
This last bunch of “July” posts are wonderful, love the comments by Alpha_gt and those in response to his thoughts.

Also agree about the Piano, the large LP collection and Hi-Fi generation. It’s nice to reflect on these ideas without regard to specific equipment brands.
Per Albert's July entry, I went back and read the "July" posts, and I must say, I think some folks are 'overthinking' this subject!

When folks in our Western (or Western-ized) culture have discretionary time-and-money (not already reserved for other things -- including savings and/or philanthropy) they usually spend it on some kind of EXPERIENCE which they find STIMULATING.

"Stimulation" is for humans what sunlight is for plants: it leads to experience(s) that make us grow. And as we all know, living things will grow (and CHANGE!) -- because things that don't grow and change are usually dead!

The reason I became enthralled with high fidelity audio reproduction (about 60 years ago,) was because I was just blown away (stimulated!) by the experience of hearing a (seemingly) live performance without any performers! I realized how the wealthy and privileged (before technology) lived when they alone could have music or other live entertainment literally "on demand"!

I realized that with the "right" equipment, I could have the entire world of performance right there in my home. I was totally consumed by that particular form of stimulation; and the amazing personal growth it provided me, almost as an afterthought!

The thing is, when I tried to share my enthusiasm with others (after the smoke-filled 60's that is!) I was not finding many kindred spirits. And I too wondered "Why Don't more People Love Audio?" When I "forced the question" on certain friends, artists and others whose perception I trusted, I was basically told that although they were charmed and excited by MY enthusiasm, that they didn't find it STIMULATING enough to THEM, and would never put that much time/money/effort into creating an audio system like mine -- although they were VERY grateful for being able to bring a record or CD over to my house to listen to on my system from time to time!!

And I think if you will take a minute and reflect on your closest, most interesting or exciting friends who DON'T have even a modest playback system -- maybe a Bose? -- you will probably realize (if they REALLY are interesting and exciting!) that they are crazy/passionate about something else that they find endlessly stimulating! Maybe something you never even noticed, because you were trying so desperately to get them interested in your audio system!

Yes, music is a "universal language." But high fidelity music REPRODUCTION is NOT a universal language, and only a small percentage of the population finds it particularly stimulating -- which is why more people don't love audio ~ ~ ~ ~ ~