why do people feel the need to buy expensive cable

I have tried expensive cables and one's moderately priced. I would say there were some differences but I can't actually say the expensive cables were better. IMHO I believe a lot of people buy expensive cables because they don't actual trust their ears and are afraid of making a mistake. They figure the expensive cables are better for the fact they cost more. If you have a difference of opinion or share the same thoughts, I would like to hear about it.
taters
"10-29-15: Ebm
Some people have money to buy the best."

And everyone hates us for it, don't they? I say, there's plenty of money out there and if you don't have any its your own fault. Stop crying like a bunch of babies.
Major breakthrough on this thread though. Most agree all wires do not sound the same. I'll buy that. That's progress whenever people tend to agree on most anything these days.
Obviously not everyone with a lot of money spends it on expensive wires. Its an interesting question how much or which ones are worth it, but not why do people buy them. People spend money on lots of things that others would consider wasteful. Nothing new really there. I doubt there will ever be any broad consensus that megabuck wires are smart buys, not that it really matters. But if you have the money and nothing better to do with it, why not? Especially if you do not care what other people might think.
I must admit to general skepticism when it comes to cables, however I had to rethink this after a demo at a local audio salon with a popular and expensive power cord. The improvement in sound quality was apparent to all present. I have since reverted to my normal state of lazy agnosticism since I can't afford them....