why do people feel the need to buy expensive cable

I have tried expensive cables and one's moderately priced. I would say there were some differences but I can't actually say the expensive cables were better. IMHO I believe a lot of people buy expensive cables because they don't actual trust their ears and are afraid of making a mistake. They figure the expensive cables are better for the fact they cost more. If you have a difference of opinion or share the same thoughts, I would like to hear about it.
taters
Here we go again.
There are audiophiles and there are 'yuppi audiophiles' who are not audiophiles.
Better cables are almost always quite expensive, just like components.
Turntable itself is a very simple thing that is exteremely difficult to make right.
Kiwanis,

I never said that. What I did say is that I have heard more expensive cables and moderately priced cables. I said I could hear there was a difference between the cables. I just could not say the more expensive cables were better. Just different.
If anyone uses or tries different cabling in their system and can't hear a difference, I believe they have a non synergistic play back system and are at a loss to experience what a live realistic sound can be had
zd . thanks for pointing out the manufacturing costs for one cable out of a thousand !