Most achingly-beautiful music

Ultimately, we listen to music to be moved, for example, to be elated, exulted, calmed or pained. Which are the 3 most affecting pieces of music do you find the most affecting?
hungryear
Just reviewed many of the posts and all have so much merit.

Notationally the length of the piece plays a good bit of what is so beautiful about classical music or baroque for that matter -- but in reality the feeling and sensations of vocals delivered with pure emotion compress that feeling and drive it into you in such a short span that I fully understand the votes for these as well. The lyrics have to reach and touch in order for this to work, thus the subjectivity of the vocal votes presented is likely greater than those for classical, instrumental offerings.

All of that said -- I think for me the candidates come from a variety of sections but there is one -- particularly when reproduced on my system that for me does it all -- Woman of Heart and Mind by Joni Mitchell. Should I ever find the woman who exists in those lyrics -- well -- that would be my ideal. But that speaks only for me.
Chopin's nocturne op9 no.2 performed by Arthur Rubinstein, Schubert's Ave Maria, and Hot For Teacher by Van Halen.
Sorry, but the last one is very dear to me......
"Motherless Child".

I'm thinking of the Van Morrison version in particular.

Or is "gut wrenching" a better term?
1. "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face." Roberta Flack version 1969. Written in 1957 by Ewan MacColl for his wife.

2. "Forever Autumn" from Jeff Wayne's 1978 album "War of The Worlds"; sung by Justin Hayward (Moody Blues).

3. "I'm Goin' Back To Harlan" Emmy Lou Harris from "Wrecking Ball" album 1995.

4. "Its Only Make Believe" Conway Twitty 1958.

5. "Scarborough Fair/Canticle" Simon and Garfunkle 1966. SF is a tradional English ballad. The counterpoint "Canticle" was written by Simon and Garfunkle later altered lyrics to include anti-Viet Nam War stuff.