Otari or Technics Reel-to-Reel ?

Hi.
I am thinking about getting one of those in the future. I am sure I would want Studer but they are too expensive for me. I want the deck to be able to record on 7.5 and 15 and to play on 3.75, 7.5 and 15, both half-track and quater-track tapes.
I would be recording from vinyl making compilations and listening to studio recordings whenever I could get them.
I would be prepared to pay to have it properly cleaned aligned and calibrated.
I actually never delt with RTR, but in my heart I am a tape man not vinyl man.
What would your recommendations and advice be? I would appreciate any input based on knowledge and experience.
inna
I've never owned a Technics, but I do think the Otari is a better bet. I have the Otari (model MX5050 BII-2) that graced many a radio station and small studio. That was the target market, while the Technics was mainly for home use. The Otari is a really tough, rugged machine and will do everything you want in a deck, plus it sounds great, far better than the Teac X1000R it replaced in my system. And as a recording deck I think it's hard to beat.

By all means, whatever you decide, go for it. The world needs more tape fans :-)
The Otari can be purchased for either half - or quarter-track, but it can't do both, IIRC; Technics did make machines that played both formats. But both Otari and Technics are better machines than the TEACs, imo.

The Tandberg TD-20A and TD-20SE are good decks, too.
I had a TEAC A-3440 multi-track back in the day. Go for Otari or Tandberg - they have a very strong following and are serviceable. Note that head alignment isn't enough - you also have to bias the record circuit for the tape(s) you want to use. I suggest you bias for a tape that is still manufactured. Not sure what's out there anymore.

Good luck & happy listening!
I have two Otari decks. The MX5050 BII-2 and a Mark III. The former I use to record and playback and the latter I turned into a transport for playback only. Signal is taken from the heads and sent to a tube tape head amp. I highly recommend these decks and RMGI tape which I use to record with.