Since solder is such a poor conductor, why use it?

Why would we not weld all joints. Welded silver or copper wire would not have the loss of conductivity of going through solder.
tbg
Almarg, I doubt seriously if the solder you and I have access to is anything like that used in the military.

Mapman, a linear amp doesn't solve the problem but could afford the welding of wires.
Almarg, I doubt seriously if the solder you and I have access to is anything like that used in the military.

Tbg

I spent 20 years as an electronic tech in the USAF and there was nothing special about the solder we used. Yes I was soldering components on boards as well as connectors used in aircraft. Now maybe NASA uses something special, but I doubt it.
A good solder joint is going to last. It just has to be done properly. That's what quality control is for.
I guess the military need not use lead free solder. The EU has largely forced the move against lead in solder. Lead is a poor conductor as is tin, but lead tends to not crack. Welding copper to copper or silver to silver would mean no loss of conductivity.
TBG
"Almarg, I doubt seriously if the solder you and I have access to is anything like that used in the military."

The military and NASA specs call out fairly ordinary solder!

I worked in QA, on military and aerospace electronics.