What drives your music and live show preference?

Does your experience at a live performance determine your music preference? Or does your music preference determine which live performances you see?

For me, I think it is the former. I prefer music that best replicates what I heard at a live performance.

I'm curious to read the opinions of others.
pgawan2b
A live show is a social event, not one for serious listening to music. All live shows provide high decibel amplified sound, which is a health hazard. So, if you are tying to replicate such music, it is best you consider if you are serious about music.
Buconero117,
Are you referring to rock/pop music? I attend jazz clubs which are overwhelmingly un amplified acoustic instruments. This is an entirely different experience from what you are describing. These intimate jazz venues are a highly valuable template for what I "attempt" to achieve at home. I can understand why we'd have different perspectives.
I spent some time yesterday listening to some of my favorite music when it occurred to me that all the music I was playing was music that I had seen at a live performance. That is what prompted me to ask the question. Did I go to the live performance because it was my favorite music? Or did I listen to the music because I experienced a live performance that enlightened my appreciation of the piece(s)?

Buconero117, I agree that live shows can be social in nature, but that doesn't mean that good music can't be heard. I'm a big proponent of live performances; the energy interaction between the artists and the audience can result in fantastic performances.

My musical preferences are almost entirely acoustical in nature; the lone exception is probably big band.

Thanks for your opinions.
For me it's both ways like bisexual :) Exploring new stuff inside the venues -- purchasing media of the artists I liked and visa versa: Listening to the media and than decide to purchase concert tickets. At the same time never really hunting for big names to attend live. Did not care much about Cream of Eric Clapton tour, but purchased tickets to Carnegie Hall on pre-sale announcement. My GF couldn't attend so she asked if I could sell her ticket at the door. When I reached Carnegie Hall, I saw many folks looking for extra ticket and sold both $750. I guess I wouldn't be happier if I attended the concert -- Having records from time to time is OK tho.
After 50 years of concert-going (from classical to pop), I rarely go to a live performance anymore due to high ticket prices, the talent available, and the hassle. I've already heard most of the folks I would want to hear (often multiple times) but am open to newbies. I go to a handful of shows per year at this point, usually someone I know or a newish act on their way up (meaning, not yet too expensive). I refuse to pay 3 figures for an aging rock vet whom I missed in the 60's or the 70's.