What drives your music and live show preference?

Does your experience at a live performance determine your music preference? Or does your music preference determine which live performances you see?

For me, I think it is the former. I prefer music that best replicates what I heard at a live performance.

I'm curious to read the opinions of others.
pgawan2b
Definitely the music comes before live show for me and I really prefer more complex compositions. I live way too far out in the sticks to do it any other way. That said, my audio hobby is entirely driven by trying to replicate the best sounding shows I've heard. I've been pretty successful in that direction, too. Several shows I've seen in the past 5 years or so that were driven by chip amps did not measure up to the reproduction I get at home.
My musical tastes determine my concert attendance. No concert I have ever experienced was bested by playing music in my home, none.

I would love to have music to play at home that equals the experience I have at live shows; there are times when I think I have been there, but not so often.

Here's the truth for me; I love both. I love playing music in my music/living room, and I love going to shows. I am not sure I could choose one over the other.
As a practical matter, I almost always hear recorded music first and - if it piques my interest - I'll try to catch a performance.
A live show is a social event, not one for serious listening to music. All live shows provide high decibel amplified sound, which is a health hazard. So, if you are tying to replicate such music, it is best you consider if you are serious about music.