The pursuit of bass...

Most people would probably say that the most important thing for a speaker to get right is the midrange and I'd have to go along with this myself. If the midrange is too shouty or too recessed or just tonally inaccurate, the other qualities of the speakers are pretty much pointless regardless of how great those qualities might be.

However, with that said, I do not think that the midrange is the most challenging part of a speaker to get right. In my opinion, that award goes to the bass frequencies. Sometimes I listen to a speaker and it is indeed the midrange or treble that is holding back the sound quality, but far more often, for me, it's the low frequencies. I find that I’m more forgiving of midrange flaws. Midrange flaws don’t impact my musical enjoyment as much as bass flaws.

Now, of course, the bass is also the most vulnerable to room acoustics which just exacerbates the problem. But, mostly I blame the speakers themselves. Many fine speaker manufacturers simply ignore the problem by rolling off the bass early. I won't name any specific brands to avoid a flame war, but this is very common. Often I will see specs for frequency response that indicates -6db at 50hz. This is typically very unsatisfying bass. Also, many speakers are not balanced properly across the frequency spectrum so that while they might dig down to 35hz or 40hz, they don't sound like it because the bass is always underwhelming compared to the volume level of the midrange and high frequencies.

The speakers that do attempt to reproduce good solid 40hz bass, often still sound quite bad when reproducing those frequencies. And I'm not talking about pipe organ bass here, I'm talking about the 35hz to 55hz range. Unfortunately, really good minimontors that are amazing with 60hz up, really are missing out on a lot of the presence and atmosphere created by those low frequencies. Emotionally connecting to the music and suspending disbelief is easier with quality bass reproduction. For some reason many audiophiles are willing to live without it. I can understand this since pursing quality bass can be a frustrating endeavor. Also there is cost to consider. Good bass typically comes from bigger speakers and is therefore considerably more costly. But even the best mini-monitors usually commit the sin of omission in the low frequencies.
jaxwired
Jax2, can you borrow a sub? Perferably one with a phase reversal switch. It can be a small sub that doesn't go very deep. Try it along the wall behind the speakers, with the phase reversed. I'm hoping that its response will "zig" where your main speakers "zag". Also try it along the wall behind the listening position, starting out with normal polarity. Having powered subs in your main speakers is a big advantage here, because in either of these cases you will probably need to adjust their level.

You said that your speakers were "solid", with "no boxes" - could you elaborate?

Thanks,

Duke
I would be more concerned about peak somewhere ocatve of half below or above that dip. i have instaled nearly half hundred rooms and in rooms with clear resosonse mode there is always (mostly in theese areas ) peak at 58-65Hz and dip either 80-100hz or (more common) 35-42hz. there is nothing can be done for preventing main room resonanse mode. even if it can be atenuated by digital eq corection ,its level just maches main spl level but resonanse stays(its just much lower in level)its very audible on recording where music piece exactly maches peak..
You need space for bass most loudspeaker designs are highly compromised in performance as to pas WAF allow hi profits ease of manufacturer shipment etc. Good sound while not the last thing most loudspeaker designs strive for but not near the top either profits are. Many have also been sold the line for years that little monitors with wee subs or slim towers are the better performing designs when its the complete opposite thats true. So you end up with most loudspeakers producing little to no infra bass. Or bloated subwoofer adding there drone. Bass response dynamic range and lack of thermo compression are critical to great sound but conventional designs mostly over look this.
My pursuit of a little more bass has me using equalizer. While using my music server I started to play around with iTunes and the equalizer in the program. The adjustments are made on the fly from my listening chair. I have to tell you I am really enjoying it.
Jax2, can you borrow a sub? Perferably one with a phase reversal switch. It can be a small sub that doesn't go very deep. Try it along the wall behind the speakers, with the phase reversed. I'm hoping that its response will "zig" where your main speakers "zag". Also try it along the wall behind the listening position, starting out with normal polarity. Having powered subs in your main speakers is a big advantage here, because in either of these cases you will probably need to adjust their level.

You said that your speakers were "solid", with "no boxes" - could you elaborate?

Thanks for the sub suggestion - Again I have such limited space that it becomes a real estate issue. I have had a sub in here several times before, though not with these speakers as no one would ever listen to these and think they need anything more in the low end. I can reverse phase on my preamp, but of course that would address both sub modules and do nothing like you suggest. I can also separately attenuate the sub sections (as well as the tweeter) on the speakers. I have tried that and the suckout remains unchanged, hovering around -10db while other regions do change. The point I was trying to make is that it's not the specific speakers, but the room that's causing it. Elviukai - there is indeed a peak just below the suckout dip, right at 50hz. Again, a consistent theme no matter what speakers are in place. So it sounds like the only real way to to address this is to alter the position of the system in the room, as Duke suggested from the start?

Duke, the current speakers are AudioMachina Pure System MkII. The body is solid aircraft aluminum (no box - just enough space for the drivers including the sub driver). The online information has not been updated to the Mk. II version, which has changed from Karl's dated website (I'm working with him on an updated site with new images). They are extraordinary speakers...quite unique...sound amazing; basically a full range driver with a subwoofer and supertweeter. If you have not heard them, check them out and introduce yourself to Karl at RMAF. You'd probably enjoy each other. They have attenuators on the sub and on the supertweeter.

The room's been a thorn in my side from the time I had to move my system there from my studio (which I gave up five years ago). I'll include it in this discussion only because it certainly does play a big roll in the pursuit of a full range sound. It is about 11+ feet wide by 24 feet long and the furthest 10 feet of that length opens up to about 16 feet wide with a cathedral ceiling and a 14 foot peak. The system is on the long wall at one end of this space furthest away from where it opens up larger. A big sacrifice I had to make is that the system had to go under the the higher part of the sloped ceiling (ideally I would have it the opposite way). So at the listening position the ceiling is 8 feet, and at the system/speaker it is 11 feet. Speakers are about 30inches off the back wall and listener about 7 feet from the speakers. It's a very challenging room. Hardwood floors with area rugs and lots of hard surfaces which make it very lively. Plants and room treatments are all I have going for me. That and being nearfield does obviate some of the room issues, while making bass a more challenging issue, as I understand it. The overall volume of the space is probably around 2000cf. Any WAF suggestions would be appreciated. Duke, if I do get the chance to borrow a small sub I will try what you suggest, but you're asking me to put it where the bass traps are (directly behind the speakers).