budget towers? $500/pair

I am a novice in the knowledge of world of high-end audio equipment. I am looking to buy two very budget-minded towers that will fill a small/medium sized room for movies/music. I have a set of yamaha HS80m studio monitors along with the matching sub, and I am very happy with how these sound within a 5' foot range (i.e at my desk mixing music etc). However, these speakers do not seem to have a room filling sound any farther away than a desk seated position in relation to them on account that they are near-field monitors. Does anyone have advice as to whether or not I should stick it out with current monitors or upgrade to a 2.1 tower config for movies/music and if so which brand/model?
klemke89
Have you informed Richard Vandersteen of this?

I was thinking the same thing,Hesson11.
I'm sure it's something he'd want to fix, pronto! It's probably something that has escaped his notice in the 33 since the speaker was first produced.

-Bob
Griffinconst,
tsto sells the 9.4 for $299.I am not affiliated with tsto in any way other than being a long time customer.They are one of my favorite local stores,especially for introducing younger folks to a decent pair of speakers at very affordable prices.
I think I'm really leaning towards something like those wharf 9.6's. Just worried about not being able to audition the speakers i've been looking at. I think I'll try to settle on the speakers with the most detailed sound and tight bass from what I read around. Would be very disappointed to buy a set of floorstanders and get a very "meh" experience from them, but I guess you get what you pay for if you aren't careful researching sometimes.
I had some older Wharfedale Diamond 8.1's in a second system, and liked them for what they cost me. They do a couple of things very well - rich and tuneful midrange, and good spatial presentation. Their biggest sins are sins of omission - a slight lack of sparkle on top, and of course as a for smallish stand mount there is a lack of deep bass.

I have heard the 9 series Diamonds and they are better in every way than the 8's - same compelling midrange, but better treble and bass and less coloration from the cabinets at higher volumes. The 9.6's are a good bargain, better speakers than most of the other new speakers listed here for your budget - maybe comparable to the PSB's, and would give some (much) older Vandersteens 2's available for that price a run for their money. Of course, garbage in, garbage out of any decent speaker, and better associated gear will be rewarded with the Wharfedale speakers.