Opinions on the Dynaudio DM 2/8

I'm curious to hear what people think about these speakers. I've read reviews on a few of the models in
the line (including one from TAS about the 2/8, and the 2/10 by HiFi-Choice) and they are very positive overall. People seem to think that based on their size they make great speakers for rock music, which I listen to lots of.

The 2/8 has caught my attention for this very reason. My dealer carries the Tannoy Prestige line with very large cabinets and drivers and they sound amazing. Obviously they are very expensive and should sound amazing, but I think the basic design has something to do with it: they seem totally effortless, are very resolving, and produce fantastic bass and a big sense of scale. They Dynaudios seem to get praise along those same lines. Large drivers in large cabinets must have a lot to do with this.

I currently run a pair of Quad 12L2, which I think are great speakers. But I think I hear their limitations when it comes to some of the harder stuff. They sound a bit thin and compressed, even on albums that are well produced. For example, Voodoo Lounge by the Stones, the softer stuff sounds great, the harder stuff a bit thin and congested in complex passages.

Am I on the right track with the 2/8? I can't help but think I am kind of downgrading, wondering if the cabinet on the 2/8 is of lesser quality. Certainly the finish is. I guess one could argue that a lot of what you are paying for a pair of Quads is going to the finish, whereas for the 2/8 it's going more into things like the drivers and crossover.
fusion10
Folks,

I think the DM line is easier to drive and much more dynamic than the retired Audience line.

If you want to tell whether the Quad will outpeform Dynaudio, listen to these albums The Eagles Hell Freezes Over track # 6 & 8, Ice Cube Raw Material track # 4,9, & 15, and Massive Attack-Singles track #4 (Teardrop).

If the Quad sounded compressed and thin especially with IC track # 9 and Massive Attack track # 4, I don't think the Quad will suit your needs as a rock speaker.
Thanks for your comments, everyone.

Markmay, your description of the 12L2 rings true to me. I think they are a little lacking in detail, although that may be due to the fact that the midrange isn't as forward as I've heard on other speakers. Vocals and midrange instruments tend to be a little back in the mix, while bass and treble are more forward. I think this is what is giving me the impression that the Quads don't present the sense of scale and separation around instruments that I'd like to hear. I'd like a more forward midrange as that is where most of the music lies and it's just a more exciting sound when the midrange comes through.

I also agree about music being more of a sum total, despite the slightly forwards bass and treble nothing really pops out at me most of the time. It's smooth and very nice and treble/woofer integration is top notch. A lot of people say that this is better than a speaker that impresses you with certain things, as it should be about the song as a whole. However, I like hearing a few things in each song that make me go "wow!".

Added detail with more midrange presense, nice full and warm bass, and a smooth treble are things I'm looking for and glad to hear Dynaudio gets the job done. I'm probably going to replace my Exposure gear with the Audiolab 8000P and 8000Q (pre-amp and power amp). I was able to hear the 8000S integrated a year ago and really dug it. Full bodied, detailed, and with the tightest bass I think I've ever heard. Many will think it's a downgrade from Exposure, but I really enjoyed the sound and the added power (watts per channel and peak power current) should help deliver the sound I'm looking for.

I'm wavering though between the 2/8 and the Excite X16. For $400 more, the nicer finish, better cabinet, and better drivers are enticing. But I wonder if the 2/8 will excel at rock more than the X16 would. Tough choice! I'm also considering the Monitor Audio RX2, another big 8-inch driver speaker with nice build quality. As long as the tweeter isn't as harsh as the old RS series it might work out. Kind of the best of both worlds compared to the Dynaudio - the big driver the 2/8 uses but with the nicer build quality of the X16. And at the price of the 2/8.
MA RS 6 is a that gets many things done right and very little wrong. My only gripe is that their high is not as smooth as that of a Dynaudio DM 2/8 or Excite X 16. I do not know if the MA RX 2's tweeters got some improvement. If they did, they are great speakers for rock too if you don't mind the fact they are built in China.

I will say this. The DM 2/8 is an excellent choice. But you will not regret the premium that the Excite X 16 commands.

You can get a DM 2/8 and still have a few hundred dollars left for an Outlaw LFM 1 Plus. I usually have some reservations against the metal dome tweeters because they sound hot to my ears.
I concur with your thoughts on the RS6 Hieule5. I technically had the RS5, but it's pretty much the same speaker. I felt it did everything well but the highs were way too strong.

Well now I'm also considering the PMC TB2i. Heard a pair last year and looooooooooved them. They were always going to be the speaker I wanted in the long run but were a bit too much money right now. Everything is ultimately going to depend on how much I can get for my current gear and how much the Audiolab electronics cost. But I might be able to step up to the PMC, especially if I also part with my turntable and phono stage. I probably won't leave vinyl entirely, but get back in again with a nicer table in a few years. Vinyl just isn't so much better sounding than CD that I just have to have it.

I'll be comparing these four speakers (the MA, PMC, and two Dyns) in early June. One plus for PMC is the higher sensitivity and easy load...I can surely get away with just an integrated amp. I think I can with the other speakers too, but I'm sure the Dyns would thrive with the extra power. It won't be a deal breaker though...if I go for Dynaudio then I will just buy the 8000S integrated and add the power amp later on.
Just in case anyone is still interested...

I bought an Audiolab 8000S for half off the retail price. Couldn't turn that deal down. In comparison to my Exposure, the Audiolab has toned down the highs nicely, and provides a more full bodied sound with a deeper soundstage. It's a punchy little amp with great build quality. The downside is probably less PRaT, as the Exposure sounds quicker. But I'm okay with that trade off.

The Dynaudio speakers are probably out of the picture. I did an in home trial of the Monitor Audio RX2, a similar design with the 8 inch driver. They were too much for my room, with lots of boomy bass. I'm a little concerned now with any rear ported design as my speakers are fairly close to the wall, so I'm shifting my focus to front ported speakers.

I was also able to try out the PMC TB2i, which were amazing. Deeper and more tuneful bass than my Quads, and better detail and clarity. You can truly follow every musical instrument clearly. They certainly highlighted the weaknesses in the 12L2. The PMC isn't a typical rear port design, but they are pricey. I'll buy them if nothing else comes close but hopefully something will.

The next demo will be of the ProAc Studio 110. Hopefully it can come close to the PMC's at about $1,000 less. If that doesn't work out I'll check out the Paradigm Studio 20.