Ohm Micro Walsh small vs. tall

I have the 2000 on order and with John's advice ordered the (wall mount)short Micro Walsh's for surrounds. My couch is against the wall, ear height is about 42"

How do these things look on the wall, is this likely to be a(WAF)problem?, dimensions are: 6Wx7Dx12H.

John reports that the bass on the wall version is less than the floor speakers, so a sub is a must, particularly with surround music. I know I can return them, but since I only ordered yesterday I could change my order for the floor Short or Tall's versions. Can anyone give me some advice, and share experience/opinions about the 3 options?

Main concern with the shorter floor speakers is that it will sound muffled being lower than the couch. I'm currently using Maggie surrounds and they are at ear height and are very detailed.

One other thought: if the wall mounted speakers are the best solution, how high should the bottom of the speaker be above ear height?

Also, based on what I've heard, a center speaker isn't required. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks,

John
jfriswel
Shorter Walsh cabinets mean less low end extension. For surround speakers, that should not be an issue assuming bass is handled elsewhere (sub, front speakers).

I think the decision should be made based on utility rather than sound. Wall mounts will save floor space if that is of value and you like the aesthetics. Talls can function standalone in a dedicated music system, but that is not your particular application so it may not matter.

Walsh speakers deliver best/most balanced sound at or somewhat above the level of the driver/can. I would not think you would want to mount Walshes above your listening level in any application.

Also, I think the Walshes are or can be configured inside the can for true omni sound when used for surrounds. Not sure this is beneficial when mounted against a wall. Maybe these are configured differently to emit less sound facing the wall? Not sure. John would be the one to answer these questions.
My main concern is that the highs will be muted if there isn't a clear path to the listener. John mentioned that floor versions worked well even though they couldn't be seen from the couch since the sound was everywhere.

While this is desirable, it is important for me to hear the detailed highs that I'm worried will be muffled

Which of the three version will provide the best and most detailed presentation taking what has been said into account?
Find out where the super tweeters will be mounted. Usually, for 2 channel audio speakers, they are facing forward and inward 45 degrees. Surrounds may have the super tweeter mounted firing up (more omnidirectional).

If mounted forward/inward, then obstacles between them and your ears will attenuate extreme high frequencies to some extent, though most of the frequencies are radiated omni from the Walsh driver so this may not even be noticeable. If mounted full omni (as I suspect they are) then obstacles should not be much of an issue in that all frequencies are radiated omni as John says for the most part.
I'll call John on Monday to discuss further.

Mapman, do you have a surround system, if so, what rear speakers are you using and what is your experience?

Are you using a center speaker?

Any one else have any comments or opinions?