Covered my TV...What next?

I am a newbie to higher end audio and recently acquired some Magnepan 1.6 speakers that I am enjoying very much. My speakers are about 5 feet from the back wall of my room which is 25 by 23. I have a 50 inch plasma tv between the speakers that is not far from the back wall. I have hardwood floor with no rug, but the windows have fairly thick drapes. Walls and ceiling are drywall.

This evening I decided to experiment and put a blanket over the tv, which I had seen suggested. I was suprised that it made a noticeable difference. Certain instruments seemed much more distinct and almost seemed louder than with the blanket off the tv. I assume this what people mean when they say the glass on the tv "smears" the image or sound.

This bit of "success" has me interested in trying to improve my room. Any suggestions for other things that might make the biggest difference -- that is, biggest bang for buck and reasonably practical? I do have the WAF to contend with, but the blanket is something that I think can be pulled out of the closet when needed.

I have also read a little bit about dealing with first reflections. Is there a particular area (e.g., back wall? floor? side wall? ceiling?) that would best respond to some type of treatment (I assume absorption) with the Magnepans?

Thanks!
edge22
You basically have a soft screen where you tv is. It will have no effect below about 125 Hz and probably robs your high frequencies. I would follow Rrog's suggestion about finding live and dead areas, but I would remove the blanket from the tv first.

Your room is very close to being square, which probably means you have some prominent bass peaks. There are things to recommend, but many are expensive and have low WAF. Our tv is quite large. I would recommend lighter blankets.
more power on your amp, I don't care what amp you have now, you need more power. Wyred4Sound ST1000, that should do the trick. Or Bel Canto Ref1000 MB, more power!!!
A rug with athick pad would easily and affordably improve both acoustics and WAF. Not many things do that.
Dress up in women's clothes while listening, for @ least a 200%-300% improvement in sound quality.

Always assumed Tom Gillette does this on a regular basis.
Post removed