Kharma ceramic blow up

Has this happened to anyone?

I went to listen to the Kharma Exquisite Reference today paired with Soulution preamp, Soulution monoblocks, and the dCS Scarletti stack. I really enjoyed it until I put in Bela Fleck's "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" track #4 which is very bass punchy/heavy.

The ceramic midrange proceeded to blow up BOOM and shatter! Is this common with ceramic midranges? I mean the whole driver literally blew up and shattered into pieces.

Usually a speaker blows up because of amplified distortion which causes the speaker piston movement to become non linear, but I highly doubt the Soulutions or dCS somehow caused this.

Nothing against Kharma, as maybe this was a one off thing. I did really like this setup though. The music was beautiful until it happened. I've been listening to setups from Rockport Altairs, Wilson Maxx3's, TAD Reference 1, and now today the Kharmas.

Should I be wary of about this? I don't want to spend so much money and have problems like this. Do you think this was just a one-off? Again I thoroughly enjoyed the Kharma's until then (but still needed to listen longer to get a better sense of the speakers).

Cheers.
changster
If you were playing over 115 db, you possibly over drove the midrange. If not, my guess is the preamp or amplifier was sending DC to the speaker.
Something just doesn't sound right here.A 40something grand loudspeaker explodes a driver during an audition.
Having had 2 Kharma drivers blow up on me also, I gave up and after they were fixed and I sold them. I then had Avalon diamonds and never had any problems and with the same amps.

Find another brand is my best advice and one that doesn't have ceramic parts. That what I did and I never have to worry about any of that.
I've had ceramic mid - woofers break in shipping. I returned a pair of speakers in factory road cases.
later I got an email saying the woofers were broken and I thought they were talking about a burnt voice coil (which still didn't make sense because I would have heard that).
Finally they sent a picture both had shattered and the metal grills covering the drivers looked fine. The cabinets which were high gloss black also looked unharmed.
PS these were not Kharma's but...
Jtinn, Buff - The Soulution preamp was set at "50" if I remember. I highly highly doubt this was over 115db. Maybe 100db, I'm not sure. Jtinn, what do you mean by the amp pushing DC current to the speakers?

Mtdking - were they the ceramic midranges that blew up on you? Was it like what happened to me, where the ceramic cone shattered into pieces?