Magnepan, How Low Can You Go...power-wise

Hi Guys,

I have used a pair of Maggie 1.6s with a little Naim Nait5i (50wpc) and they sounded ok. I hear a lot of people saying you really need 250wpc to make them sing. I have the opportunity to buy a pair of Maggie 3.6s very cheap in another country where I spend some months each year. I was hoping my Simaudio i7 at 150wpc would be enough power for these. Magnepan won't answer this question firmly - what do you think ?
thomastrouble
The more power you put into Magnepan the better they sound. I picked up a pair of Wyred 4 Sound SX-1000 monoblocks (500 watts per ch) and the dynamics of the 1.6 became excellent. I had been using a Krell xi 400.
I drove Maggies with a 50 wpc NAD and the sound was quite nice. You will have very good sound, but Maggies get better as you add power. Musical Fidelity Superchargers can be added later if more power is needed. They will wake up Maggies!
Electrostatic speakers generally sound better with more power but also that power has to be stable down to 2 ohms at least as these speakers usuallyu have pretty good impedence dips regardless of what they are nominally rated at, imo.

You can always look at some class D amps like the Bel Canto REF11 1000 or Spectron MK2 depending on your budget.
Nick778,

Magnepans are not electrostatic speakers. They are planar magnetic and thus do not suffer from the ultra low impedence problems. I agree that more power is better.

http://www.magnepan.com/magneplanar_technology
If you have the means...you should try quality tube amps. By a chance, I tried mere 34w/ch Marantz 8B to my 20.1s and it is still driving them in my 26D x 29W x 8H room in reasonable listening level. I've been searching for a tube amp with similar sonic virtues as the 8B but more power...