Best pre-amp in an integrated

Hello all,

I am building my first hi-fi system on a budget and have a question for you:

For practical purposes, I will start with an integrated amplifier... just to get listening quickly. In the $1-3k range.

But if one day, I wanted to move to separates, is there an integrated amplifier with a pre-amp section that is so good that my best (most audible improvement-to-cost ratio) upgrade path would be to simply add a good power amplifier and use my integrated as a pre only?

Would love to hear Audiogon members' experience with using their integrated amplifier as a preamplifier when upgrading their system over the years.
vsrrr
and if I am listening almost exclusively to digital music files, does anyone think that a DAC + power amplifier might be a better option than an integrated?

if I'm going to buy a separate DAC anyway, it seems like it might be a logical method... as plenty of DAC's have volume controls...

or is an integrated + DAC still the best option?
I submit Integrated and DAC is the better option based on how much you want to spend. DACs that have good volume controls are expensive.
Speakers first, amp second, if possible an integrated and DAC in any combination. Then sources which may be the DAC alone or DAC/Pre. If you find an integrated that works magic with your speakers but has no DAC , obviously buy it and then add the DAC .
DACs are no longer a luxury of the technically advanced. I wanted to buy a demonstration "disc" today, only to learn that it was only available as a HD tracks album.