I'm adding Jupper cables and your opinion is ??

I am in the process of purchasing new speaker cables for my Avalon Eclipse's....I will let you know they are very expensive and would complete my entire system.....the issue is, the mfg.'s price for their bi-wired pair of cables adds on a whole bunch of more money which would kick me out of the game .....the dealer recommended using the same kind of wire for jumpers....I called the mfg. and they said that it could be done but did not want to comment on the sonics of doing that....so, does adding the correct or same kind of wire jumpers degrade the overall sound or does it have no affect on the sound if done correctly ...????
garebear
The jumpers should work fine. So should thin (solid core) speaker wires, as opposed to the garden-hose variety I used for years. I used to believe that because bi-wired inputs were provided by my speakers (then ProAc Response 3), this is what I should use. I'm glad those days are over. Good luck, Dave
i believe that the desighn reason for 4 wire set up on speakers was for biamping. in which case you need 4 complete sets of wire and 4 seperate amp channels, preferably mono amps. to me "biwiring" was something created by wire companys to sell more wire. just my thoughts
Thank you for your responses and I agree that running seperate runs would be the ultimate best - that would come with a price tag of the cable that I'm looking at of abount $16,000.....out of the question. The Avalon Eclipse's need to be-wired, so if I am understanding everybody here - okay to use a single run and using the same wire as the jumpers would be okay without losing any sonic benefits.
Correct. That was my point.

As per those who recommend two separate runs, I completely agree, many manufacturers use a single run with two tails, meaning somehow they splice the second tail into the single run. This of course adds solder and potential disruption of the signal, or at best is not a pure design solution.

Therefor I build mine as single runs, one run for the treble/midrange and a separate cable for the bass. In my design the two are actualy different wire configurations inside the cable. The bass tries to lighten the individual gauges (greater overall) to speed up the leading edge and provide more dynamics over the full frequency design.

What this offers is the ability to maximize the use of two cables, as each set of posts have very different needs in supplying the signal.

In the case here, getting a jumper to match the original full range speaker cable (same design) is an excellent solution. I would run the main cable to the treble/midrange and jump to the bass.

Good Luck,

JD MacRae
Jade Audio, LLC
JD and the others have made some excellent comments, but I would put it a bit differently:

1)There is no well-established technical reason why the wire type used for the short jumper between bi-wire terminals on a speaker will make any difference sonically, assuming the gauge is adequate and good contact is made.

2)Bi-wire vs. single-wire plus jumper can certainly make a difference in many systems, although subjectively the difference may not necessarily be for the better. See the following threads in which people reported an apparent loss in bass when bi-wiring, for which I provided what I believe to be the correct explanation near the end of each thread:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1247016622

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1247245568

And here is some general background on biwiring and its potential benefits:

http://www.brilliancehifi.co.uk/how-to-bi-wire-speakers.htm

Regards,
-- Al