Magnepan vs Ohm/Walsh ?

Just curious... those of you that have tried both magneplanar speakers and the Ohm with the Walsh-type driver -- which did you prefer and why?

I have a lot of experience with planar speakers, but almost none with the Ohm, so please send your impressions. If you switched from one to the other, are you happy, or what do you miss?
plato
Plato,

I can't comment intelligently on this because I've only spent the briefest time with some Maggies in a local dealer showroom. But for lots of information on the Ohm sound itself, have a look at the thread called, "Ohm Micro Walsh Talls: Who's Actually Heard 'Em?"
I have had both. I sent the Ohms back to where they came from. The Ohms didn't hold a candle to the Maggies for my taste. Besides, I tried other omni's like Decware's version of the application and they too were better than the Ohms.
Back in the late 1970s I owned a pair of Ohm Fs and absolutely loved them. I regretted selling them almost immediately.

Fast forward to 2002 or so and I was in the speaker market again. Ohms were first on my list to try so I ordered the 200s under their home trial program. I ran them about a month and then borrowed a pair of Magnepan 1.6QRs from a local dealer for a side-by-side weekend trial.

It became a very easy decision at that point; the Maggies won easily. They floated a very transparent, almost surreal image and the mid-bass, for cellos, drums and the like was outstanding - very palpable. In contrast, the Ohms were more veiled. I will give the deep bass to the Ohms but I valued the Maggies' advantages more.

I know other people would make the opposite choice based on what is important to them.

Unfortunately I moved 3 years ago and the listening room at the new house was simply unsuitable for a dipole speaker that needed to be well out from the wall. The Maggies were sold and I am now quite happy with a pair of classic Spendor SP1/2Es.