An Advent Guy

Last weekend I hooked up a pair of my Large Advents just to remind myself that before I became a wannabe audiophile, I was just an Advent guy. I guess I still am. Any golden oldie still knock you out (for no particular reason)?
jaybo
I owned the Original Advent speakers back in the day and thought they were okay, but not that special, and likewise for the smaller Advent.

I also bought the JBL L100's new... Initially, their "midrange presense" got my attention, but after owning them a while I realized how peaky they were. Traded them for AR 3A speakers and was much happier with those.

The DCM Time Windows impressed me although I never owned a pair.

Right now I have an old pair of Altec 3841 speakers that are very robust and sound extremely good in a vintage system with a '70's Onkyo receiver.

Magnepan's MG I Improved and MG-3 speakers made a very positive impression on me when I owned them (and were a lot of fun), but the speakers that impressed me the most (aside from the Infinity Servo-Static 1A's I couldn't afford), were the Acoustat X full-range electrostatic speakers with the original tube servo-charge amplifiers. Later, the Acoustat 2+2's would become my reference with some highly modified Acoustat servo-charge amps that used custom polystyrene coupling capacitors and 6LF6 tubes (wish I still had those).

I've moved on since then, but recall those days fondly.
my wife once refered to the look and sound of the large advents as 'handsome'.....an adjective she never used again in her three decades on my hifi merry-go-round.
picked up apair for 10.00.had woofers refoamed,60.00.i haved owned some very nice spkrs,up to vandy 5,s.the advents are amazing.makes me wonder how much advancement has truly been made in sound quality from spkrs.in general,and at such current high prices.
Still running the New Large Utility Advents in my secondary system. Got 'em new in 1978 as a High School graduation present. They're a little beat-up looking, but still sound great, with the *original* foam surrounds! (Although I am too scared to try the pencil eraser test).

In my main rig, my Thorens TD-166MkII is still running great after a quarter of a century. Bought that new when I thought turntables were going the way of the Dodo, and didn't want to be left with nothing to spin my vinyl on. Who knew there would be such a vinyl revival?

Other than higher resolution, which can also be defined as listening fatigue, there have been very few, if any, improvements in audio since about 1989.

Cheers,

cwlondon