6922 tube selection

Time to retube the C-J pre amp and amp. Looking at Genalex Gold Lion tubes at $46.00 each vs Electro Harmonix at $26.00 each. Need a total of 7 tubes. (4 for pre amp and 3 for amp). Any reason to spend the extra money on the Gold Lions? And, any need to spend the extra $5.00 per tube for matching? Thanks for the feedback!
quincy
Hi Quincy

Hope things are going well for you and your family. I would go with the Gold Lions as I have had experience with both brands of tubes you mention. The Gold Lions are smoother and more detailed with better extension at both frequency extremes. The power tubes are especially very nice like the KT-88's and the KT77's.

Chuck
I second what Irish said:
"I would highly recommend using Jim McShane for your tube purchases. One of the best"

Excellent pricing, great customer service- Jim knows his stuff.
If you're going to spend $46 per tube, then I would try some of the NOS tubes that Upscale Audio or tctubes offer. I didn't find the Genalex anything special, and the ones I had were not very quiet. However, this sort of thing is very circuit dependent.

I've been breaking in a quartet of current production JJ E88CC tubes in my BAT 3iX. These have excellent top and bottom extension and a colorful midrange.
Thanks for your replies and opinions. Great thread! Hi Chuck, its been awhile since we last chatted on the 'Gon'. I have sent you a pm.
I have known Paul Mah in New York City for years, and he deals in old stock signal and driver tubes. I have purchased from him many times, and he is reliable, knowledgeable and reasonable. Also a member of The Audiophile Society of NY and a reviewer for dagogo.com. I can recommend him.