Vandersteen 2/3 vs. 3A MM de Capo vs. GMA Europa

I would like to upgrade my modest system:

Squeezebox (stock) playing FLAC files
Rogue Audio 66 Magnum
Threshold S/200
Onix Reference 1 monitors
ACI Force XL subwoofer

I have a large room, about 14' x 28' (somewhat irregular shape) that is open to another room and a corridor.

I think that speakers would be the best upgrade at this time and the three I have mentioned in the title are high on my list (I haven't heard any of them so it is based on what I read here). I’m interested in other suggestions. The budget is $1500- $2000 used, depending on whether I need to keep the subwoofer.

I often listen to music many hours a day so non fatiguing sound is important. Also I don't always listen from the sweet spot and I would like speakers that sound as good as possible throughout the room. I often listen at night at lower volume. I listen to all kinds of music; almost everything except orchestral and hip-hop/rap .

I’m new to this hobby and I’m not sure I know exactly how to describe what I’m looking for. I want a more room filling sound and for the speakers to disappear (that is sometimes a shortcoming of my current system). I like details and good imaging.

I should mention that one of the reasons I’m considering 3A MM de Capo is because I might want to try a tube amp in the future so higher sensitivity speakers would be useful.

Am I on the right path thinking about the speakers or should I consider changing the electronics? I would appreciate any specific suggestions but also general advice how I should go about the upgrade.

Thanks,
Adam
sapek
The basic character of the Vandy 2 is very different from the deCapo (I don't know the GMA). Both speakers do feature a relatively "polite" high end so your concern re: long hour/fatigue shouldn't be an issue with either choice. But, the Vandy's have both much more bass extention and more overall energy below the mid-range which shifts the octave to octave balance toward a warmer character while the deCapo feels more analytical (if you're not a fan of this tonal character) or tansparent and detailed (if you are). Choosing between the 2 is really a matter of personal taste, but I suspect that almost everyone who auditions these speakers will have an easy choice:

Personal priorities will take you one way or the other, but you probably won't have a hard time deciding.

One other note: If you keep your sub, you may be able to "dial away" some of the difference. I'd personally suggest that you consider budgeting $500 to $600 for a Velodyne SMS-1 sub controller if you decide to keep your sub and add the deCapos. It's a great product that includes a flexible active low pass, a more basic high pass, room analysis and PEq. The SMS allows seamless integration of your sub and mains and also allows you to eq for smooth response in the deep bass.

Marty
Keep your Force sub and buy the Europas. I have heard all three speakers and the GMA is by far the best.

Shakey
Thanks everyone for the responses. This is very helpful.

Re: deCapo and Europa, has anyone heard them in a large room like mine?

Re: Vandy 3A Sigs, will the Threshold amp be sufficient to drive them?
Both the deCappo and the Europa will fill a large room. However, the really deep bass will be MIA. I think the Europa might play a little louder without strain.

Shakey
Second the Vandy reco (as I am biased, and have and love my 3A Sigs), and like you find myself "around" the room while listening. Vandies get knocked for that "they only sound good in that 6 inch by 6 inch keep you head still sweet spot", but I do not find that out of the sweet spot they are poor sounding. Yes in the sweet spot they are heaven, but very pleasing anywhere I listen.