B&W 803S Speakers

The other day, I auditioned the B&W 683 speakers and was very impressed. I wanted to also audition the 803S, to compare, but the dealer did not have any in stock?

To all B&W 803S owners, please provide feedback concerning these speakers. Also, how do these compare to the 683?

By the way, would the 803S work well in a 12'x14' room?
agiaccio
I don't think the 805s would *require* a subwoofer in a 12' x 14' room. However, it depends on what you like. If you do choose to try a subwoofer (ideally a pair - yes, I know it sounds overkill) make sure that you can roll it off at 30 Hz or less.

If you can drop the coin, go for a REL (or 2). For less money, I like (and own) a pair of Martin Logan Dynamos and roll them off around 35 Hz. I have a smaller room than you, too.

Also, check out "the Swarm" by AudioKenesis. I have not heard it, but in theory could be killer. Duke is a great guy, too.
No experience with the 683 but I listened to the 805S in a small room without a sub and it did not seem to need a sub. Very high quality speaker. You may want to listen to the Quad and Revel offerings in that size for the room that you describe.
It's funny how everyone forgets to mention the 804S. I had the 804N's; the 803N's; and the 802N's in the same 13X16 room with Mark Levinson gear with no problems. I have sat for hours in a room I know well with 804S's and 803D's. The 803D's are one of the smoothest speakers I have ever heard. I liked it better than the 802D's. I own Kharma's. Go for the 804S. Peace and Good Listening, Pat.
The 803S are GREAT speakers. Very, very good. However, if you go one step up with the 803D, they are AMAZING. The B&Ws with the diamond tweeters are absolutely BEAUTIFUL sounding. They are, however, very expensive.

I also agree with the recommendations for the 805S. I have these as rears, but even for fronts, they would be outstanding. Especially for your size of room, they would be great. They sound MUCH larger than you would assume for a 2-way stand-mount monitor, and they are actually not small speakers either. For music, they do not need a sub, especially for your room.

The 804S are great too, and you would get fuller bass with them, but I actually prefer the 805S. I thought the imaging was better, and as well as the separation of instruments. With a sub, the 805S would be clearly superior to the 804S. Still, with either choice, you can't lose.

I currently have the Signature 805s' in room with similar
dimensions. I'm sure the 803's are fine speakers but they could be too much for your room. I'm using a Velodyne
DD-10 with my Sig 805's and they work well together. The
805's have decent bass for a monitor and you could always
add a sub at later point if you feel your missing something.

Good luck