Speaker Packing?

I need some help. I buy and sell all kinds of stuff on Audiogon but have hesitated to pack and ship full size speakers. Do FedEx or other shippers come into your home and pack/pick-up big items like speakers? Anyone have any experience with this. Thanks in advance.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xjaymark
The one time I used Yellow Freight, about 15 years ago to deliver a large antique radio, they were only equipped to offload to receiving docks, and not to lower items to the ground on a lift at the rear of the truck. They told me this in advance, and I had to arrange for a local short-haul trucker to bring it from their facility to my home.

Regards,
-- Al
Lots of good comments above. I have done this a couple of times and I agree with Swampwalker, IME for big speakers, if they cannot be hand delivered, and you want them to arrive safely, box carefully then have them strapped to a pallet and shipped by BAX or equivalent freight shipper. You may consider the added protection of building wood boxes to go around the mfg boxes. I would use the simple 3/8 in. plywood boxes used by Lamm Industries as a pattern for a simplistic and inexpensive, but sturdy, wood shipping box. If you have a table saw and finish nailer you could have them done in an hour or so. Look up Lamm gear for sale here and there is usually a picture of one of their shipping boxes. You may need to drop your creation off at the shipper where they have a forklift to load it, then make sure your buyer has both help and at least a hand truck at his end since you cannot count on the delivery trucks to have lift gates, and they will generally not help carry them into the house.
The antique radio collectors use Greyhound to ship the consoles, very reasonably priced and they only get handled when changing buses, As long as they fit through the cargo doors. The downside is you need to drop them off at a Greyhound station and also need to be picked up there.
I used to work for FedEx for 19 years and truly the only way to ship full siz floor standing speakers is via freight on a pallet shrinked wrapped with lift gate service to your door.

The only exception I can think of is where the speaker manufacturer designs their boxes to be ship in the normal 'unedr 150 lbs' systems of UPS and FedEx.

For example McIntosh preamps weigh about 25 lbs but their packaging is another 20 lbs and very sturdy with screws, special feet and wood inside to protect the component. They can be shipped via common carrier in their original box.

Using UPS store or FedEx office only drags them into the picture if there is a claim and then they become the shipper and you are in the middle. And given the economic climate these days, neither company is looking to pay claims unless your case is bullet proof and is one big hassle.

I've had B&W speakers shipped to me common carrier on 4 occasions and all were damaged. From then one I insisted and paid for freight on a pallet and no damage. It costs somewhat more, but you get what you purchased intact instead of a claim and useless speakers.

I'm referring to speakers 70 lbs+ each.

Just my two cents.